Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Finally....got my computer back..and hiked 6 miles!

The laptop sputtered and blue-screened its way to a non-functioning keyboard with a screen attached.  For a couple of months...yes, a couple of months because our life is THAT insanely insane, Bill had been trying to tweak one thing to see if that helped only to have it work for a day and then falter.  So another couple of weeks would go by with him in Phoenix...far away from my computer.....and then he'd try again.  Until one day-when it just quit working all together.  Thank goodness for our external book and Carbonite because we didn't lose any data (you know, the 6000 pictures I have on our computer?).  After all the cursing and threatening to throw the d*#m thing out the window, it turns out it was still under warranty. Go figure.  So we shipped it off to the manufacturer and just got it back!  Working!  And I spent the day downloading photos off of 4 memory cards.  I think I added another 600 photos to the count.

So, now I can post pictures here and on face book again.  Because you know, a blog post without pictures is just, well, boooring!  Although, I have gotten pretty good at using my phone and Instagram :o)

What do I blog about.......I'm only 2 years behind.  I used to be so regimented about only blogging things in chronological order....sheah, that's out the window now!  So, how about our hike on the La Luz trail?  Sure, let's go with that one.

As the time gets closer to the boys and Bill going to Philmont Scout Ranch this summer, they have been practice hiking with loaded packs weighing from 25-40lbs.  The hope is to be in decent condition so that they aren't overwhelmed when the 60 mile backpacking trip gets underway.  We all decided to do a practice hike recently to see how Luke and Laurel would do hiking a fair distance since we are going to go on a family backpacking trip at the end of the month. I am having to suck it up...no showers or campfires......it's backpacking food and nasty hair for 3 days I guess, but I am really looking forward to no phones, computers or TVs!   The La Luz trail follows the face of the Sandia Mountains for 7 miles up to the top.......we made it 3 miles up and 3 back down with very little complaining!  Promising for sure.
Gregory took the lead the whole way.  Not because he's our best hiker but because he didn't want to listen to anyone else in the family.  It's how he rolls lately.  I think if he could have hiked with his arms crossed the WHOLE time, he would have.

I enacted the 'must stop for photos along the way' rule.  Some responded better than others.  Any guesses?

This was the first time in a very long time (since 1987 I do believe) that I had worn a backpack and hiking shoes......and I managed to make it without complaining too!  I will say that the downhill hike made my feet hurt way more than the uphill!
 The hike gave Bill and I confidence that we can actually hike as a family and I think our family hiking/backpacking trip is going to be a fun family experience!
 I can only imagine how great the view would have been from mile marker 7!  This was taken below mile 3.  Maybe someday we can make it...but we'll leave the packs in the car!

1 comment:

Jules said...

In that first picture, I thought Jacob was Bill standing a little further back. With the hat and shades all I could see was the smile. And look at him standing with you! Shorty. And as the mother of my own two occasionally sulky teenagers, I sympathize!