Sunday, March 13, 2011

I have fallen off the wagon I think

It wasn't that long ago that I tried my very best to blog nearly every day.  I totally looked forward to sitting down at the computer at night or in the early morning to catch up on the blogs I read...but boy, has that sentiment been missing these past couple of months!   The length of time between these last few posts is the  most there has ever been unless we have been out of town. 

Are my kids doing less that I want to document?  No, of course not.  The word busy comes to mind.  Aren't we all?  Every single person I know, especially those that are parents, is BUSY!  The word has come to mean so much less these days because we all use it way too much.  It's like 'cool' or 'awesome'...it sounded good for so long and now, well, not so much.  I wish it was a word that hadn't become such an excuse that we all use....me included!

The big huge deadline for the school's yearbook was this past Monday and now...NOW.....I can say it is finally done and has been submitted to print.  That baby took a whole lot of time and I think I might be in withdrawal a little bit!  I was getting very accustomed to sitting in front of the computer in the family room, and while the family enjoyed watching a show together, I'd be moving photo boxes a tiny bit this way, or a tiny bit that way to make each page as 'picture perfect' as I could.  Yeah, it was fun but it's good to be done.

My house? Well, it has surely seen better days.  For weeks ahead of the big twins club sale and typically for a week after, it looks like a train wreck.  Like my kids had a laundry party and forgot to clean up.  Like white trash bags are the new way to decorate...because they were lining the halls!  I was very pleased at cleanup yesterday to only have one big sterlite bin to load into the car of unsold goods.  Very glad.

Both Bill and I have been consumed with almost nightly chats about Boy Scouts.  The current scoutmaster decided he needed to cut and run, leaving Bill and the few other assistant scoutmasters high and dry, trying to contend with activities planned and weekly meetings with no direct leadership.  There has been drama and upheaval, more questions than answers, and of course, the proverbial 'are you going to be the scoutmaster' discussion.  It's confusing and emotional, wanting to do what's best for our boys' scout experience and trying to balance that with what we can logistically and emotionally handle.  Why does being a grown up have to be so tricky? 

On many occasions, often within the same week, I am so surprised to find how things can change from one day to the next.  How one day, I'll feel really great and on top of life and all that comes with it......in other words, I feel organized!  And then BOOM, the next day the smallest things can make me feel so overwhelmed. How the pile of laundry looks like the Himalaya's, how the few pair of shoes strewn down the hallway make my blood boil, how the sun hits the floor just right and I see dog fur and dirt, despite having just vacuumed a day ago, how I see all the dust on my picture frames and not the smiles that peer out from them, how the folded laundry just can't seem to get put away and the darn soccer clothes are never washed and ready for practice or games.......

But then I hear Gregory belly laughing about something he read on the Dunkin Donuts sign 'new arrival, Boston Creme donuts, APD approved' (that 's our police department), or Jacob comes over and gives me a simple hug, or Luke smiles wide at the new pair of shoes we bought him at the twins club sale, or my mom puts on a brave face, says she is feeling OK and we go out to a long needed lunch out, or my 6th graders come home with all A's, landing them on the Principal's Honor roll, or Luke and Laurel read words from a book all by themselves, or Eric's report card shows he's working hard, or GG brings over her special unbirthday cake and we all get to sing that song from Alice in Wonderland.  And my resolve returns and life goes on.
Perhaps my blog will too!

5 comments:

Krystle said...

Your kids are so darn cute!

Unknown said...

My, friend, you are so eloquent about the struggles and hardships we face. You also see the silver lining that is life. Many blessings to you.
Carla G

Anonymous said...

My dear Charistiana - you need a vacation! I see the blessings God has given you, but sometimes I think they are hard for you to see. Just remember that God gave you five children for a reason....to have lots of grandkids!? acob, Gregory, Luke, Eric and Laurel are growing up and are FANTASTIC kids - always neat, clean and loving. And that is just because of you and Bill. These five special children are now, and will continue, a blessing to the world. Keep up the GREAT work (let the laundry do itself, teach the dog to vacuum).

auntiek said...

I've always thought of you as kind of a "Wonder Woman" because I'm always AMAZED by how much you are able to accomplish in one day (for awhile I thought you might have been cloned). But, as your five kids get older, and as you're finding, life is taking you in many directions (probably all at the same time) and leaving you less time for some of the things you used to do. But that's okay. You're wonderful husband and loving children should, and will, come first. Those of us who read your blog will be happy to do some catching up whenever you are able to make another entry…regardless of how long it's been since you were "on the wagon". P.S. I agree with Anonymous…teach Parker to vacuum!

Michelle said...

I love you, Cari!

I have an answer to your laundry issues. Let's chat. You won't be sorry. :)