Saturday, March 5, 2011

$36 and one rotten kid

A whole week.  Where has it gone?  My motivation for documenting ALL the stuff we have done this week, well, it is really lacking.  But I'm here now!

So, the last post was about the cake we made for the Blue and Gold banquet, right?  Well, the cake did pretty well, bringing in $36.  The highest bid for a cake was for $58 and the rest fell between that and $15.  I think we were about the 5th highest cake.  Good for me, good for Eric...he was glad someone at least wanted it!  Oh yes, the cake was very eagerly wanted by one boy in particular. One boy, whose mom is a great lady and a leader in the troop, but one boy whose behavior is notorious and not in a good way.  After they secured the highest bid, the boy went to town digging in and searching for hidden gummy worms.  Umm, I didn't hide any gummy worms IN the cake and when I passed by his table, I told him so.  At that point, about 1/4 of the cake had been eaten and another 1/4 had been demolished by the digging to the center.  This was taken before any auctioning had taken place...notice the smile?
As we were on our way out after all the clean up and packing up of left over food and such, Eric came running up to me visibly upset.  He blurted out 'so-and-so just dumped our cake in the garbage'!  I thought they had perhaps eaten most of it, sharing with friends, but no.  Nope, that kid took the remaining half of the cake and unceremoniously DUMPED it in the trash.  I was so ticked off, SO ticked off.  While part of my brain tried to reason with myself that at least it fetched $36 for the pack, the other part of my brain was thinking all kinds of things, like how on earth did this kid think it was OK to dump something in the trash that a fellow scout had put time and work into?  Eric was upset enough that he went and tattled on the kid to his mom, although I never heard the outcome.  After we got home Eric got very upset especially since he had (in his words) 'spent all afternoon decorating it'.  Truth be told, he spent about 10 minutes with me putting the gummy worms on, but I was proud of him because he knew that I had taken the time to make a good cake, one that he was proud of.  It had extras added in.....maybe next time I'll just make a box cake and leave it at that.  I was proud of him that he stood up for himself and me when he went and tattled on that rotten kid.

Other than that, the rest of the evening went well. Gregory and Jacob were among the Boy Scouts representing the troop the boys crossing over would be joining-
 Poor shorty Gregory...he's hidden in this picture by older boys that tower over him...can you find him?
It was pretty cute when Eric's den stood in front of the scouts crossing over and attempted to say the scout promise.....they were put on the spot and looked at each other like 'well, I'll start if you start'!!  Funny, they even stood the same way with their hands crammed in their pockets-
In a couple short years it'll be Eric's turn to cross over.  I bet the time between now and then will fly by just like this last week-without my permission and way too fast.  I am proud of our boys and I know that I should never be on the receiving end of another scout's tattle.  And I'm blocking that kid from bidding on our cake next year too-that's for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you get an apology from 'that' scout's mother? From anyone for that matter!! What did the scoutmaster say? Knowing your cakes, and the work that went into it, they all missed out on a DELICIOUS treat. Hope they enjoyed the gummy WORMS!