February...Blue and Gold banquets abound for Cub Scouts all over the US. It's the ceremony where those scouts in 5th grade that have decided to continue on with their scouting career, bridge over to Boy Scouts. In our boys' pack, it also has served as cake auction night. Rather than ask families to pay so much money per person or family to attend, the scouts are asked to 'bake a cake' with a family member, decorate it and bring it to the banquet. The cakes are then auctioned off and serve as dessert for the evening. Thankfully our pack is pretty low key and the costs of the cakes aren't astronomical! The first pack the boys belonged to started the bids really high and some cakes ended up going for nearly $100!! That's crazy, for sure!
This year. although the banquet is Chinese themed, we went for a worm and dirt cake. See for yourself.
The only thing I can say is that I know the cake itself and the homemade frosting are really good and the worms, well, they are dispensable......it's kind of a gamble when bidding on other's cakes. Sometimes you hit pay dirt and sometimes, well, you hit dirt. Eric said 'can we make a cake like this again when we get home'? I told him, 'no, how about we just bid on our own cake!'
So, while I hope it is interesting enough to catch some attention, I hope it's boring enough to not go for too much so we can afford it! We shall see....
1 comment:
Hi! I can't find an "email me" button so I'm gonna comment here :)
Tandem breastfeeding has me going nuts....didn't you say you pumped and then bottle fed? Tell me your tips and all that...I need help!! :)
Post a Comment