Valentine's Day. Who knew it could be just as time consuming as Christmas? Really, it is actually MORE time consuming than Christmas in some aspects. Another holiday when having more than a couple kids really ADDS UP!
Take for instance, the number of Valentine's cards needed: 70 and if the big boys had to do any that would only add to the count (they don't...they're too big for that now...but they did want to bag up some goodies for a few friends...no girls yet!). I have to have the kids start a few days ahead since writing 23 names each takes FOREVER!
Then there's the whole 'what to put with the cards' issue. Back in the day when I was in elementary school, it wasn't even required that you gave everyone in the class a valentine, so the anticipation was to see if you actually got any cards, not what was attached TO the card! Today, we spent 90 minutes assembling, decorating and bagging up these. Over 200 pretzels and 40 Oreos.
Another intricate part of V Day? The class parties. And goodies to send with children for the class parties. Can the goodies we just made count?!
After finally getting all the kids needs out of the way for the holiday, it's time to figure out what to do for Bill. Can I just say that as the years have gone by, the need to go out and get him anything, or the need for him to get me anything, has greatly diminished! Sure, it might seem unromantic, but realistically, knowing that I don't have to buy him something to let him know I love him is plenty romantic to me! A nice card is all that I need! I'll probably get mine for St. Patrick's Day though :-)
The one benefit to Valentine's Day and 5 kids? The chocolate supply is typically replenished. Now I'm off to fulfill my teacher duties to all my preschool students for Valentine's Day! Another 10 cards and 10 goodie bags......I'm tired.....but my kids are happy, so that counts for something!
3 comments:
SO AWESOME!
You're a great mama and wife. I bought a couple veggie trays and called it done.
Well, I bought the lame conversation heart boxes for the kiddos to pass out. It's funny--the more time that passes, the less I care about all the stuff I used to fret about. Poor Grant. He gets nothing fun. Sigh.
I love the chocolate covered pretzel idea! I really try to avoid candy with corn syrup, and I was lame and didn't include any treat with Bella's cards this year. (I'm sure each of her friends got enough from everyone else) But next year, I may steal your idea!
Post a Comment