Saturday was another whirlwind day. 2 soccer games north of town and the boys had 2 each of their own games to ref. Eric's game was in Rio Rancho, so as is our usual Saturday, it was divide and conquer between work! Add in to the mix was the twins club sale which I had my own responsibilities of clean up to attend to.
So I'm in the middle of that clean up process and my cell phone rings....it's Bill. The connection is a little broken but I do get from him something about 'there's an accident'. I thought he was calling to tell me he was in some traffic because of an accident. I moved to another part of the gym and asked him to repeat what he just said and I get the whole sentence 'I've been in a pretty bad accident'. Well there's something a wife never wants to hear her husband say.
I quickly established he was OK, shaken up, but OK. And then I got the quick version of what happened, preceded by 'it was not my fault, I had to take swerve to avoid a head collision'. However, in avoiding that collision, he ended up hitting another car. When you're driving a 3/4 ton 12 passenger van and some idiot turns through an intersection directly in front of you, quick and nimble maneuverability is not really on your side, at least without running the risk of turning it on its side. The woman driving the car he hit was OK, so far as we know, She was able to move herself to the passenger side front seat and await medical attention. Bill told me he remembers saying out loud, 'God, please let this woman be OK', just before impact.
So, the van took a pretty good hit. Smashed up the left front quarter, the hood...who knows what else. But it's totally fixable and really, that part of it doesn't matter. I felt terrible not being with Bill after it happened....it would have taken me over 30 minutes to get to him so I called my dad and asked him to hightail it Bill's side. And that he did, thank goodness. What a way to shake up a Saturday. I don't recommend it!
Once all the kids gathered round and gave dad hugs, he told them to go get 3 matchbox cars so he could show us what happened.
**OK, I've fought with blogger for over 30 minutes trying to add photos and is NOT working. I'll fight with it some more later, but now it's time to get kids to school**
UPDATE: finally got it working...sop the first picture is the intersection, red van is Bill, red car is the car he ended up hitting, other car is the guy with poor eyesight that evidently did not see the very LARGE white 12 passenger van in the intersection before he turned left.
This is Bill trying to avoid hitting the guy head on
And how he ended up-
And while the driver's poor choice led to the accident, he did at least stop after completing his turn and come back to the accident. Had Bill hit that car, the injuries would have been a whole lot worse since it was a compact 4 door with 4 people on board. The other passengers even told the police the driver pulled out in front of Bill. Bad driver, but good citizen.
We're going to go visit the van this morning and I'll get some actual pictures of the damage. Good times......
2 comments:
Oh boy, things sure could have been a lot worse. Shaken nerves can be calmed, bent metal straightened, but getting over anything else can be down right dreadful. We're glad everyone is okay. MBj&g
Such a relief no one was seriously hurt, except your poor White Lightening. Hang in there!
Post a Comment