Wednesday, September 22, 2010

If the door is closed, give it a gentle nudge, He might not have closed it all the way

Several weeks ago, I stopped in at the preschool I had worked at the past 2 years to drop off something to my boss.  After deciding at the end of last year to not teach this school year, rather try to work as a substitute teacher both at the preschool and our local school district, I was quite happy to answer my first 'can you sub for us' call to duty at the preschool.  I was all set to sub the whole week and arrived in my old classroom, admiring the new paint and rearranged room.

Totally was not expecting to miss it as much as I did.  I felt so weird being at the school and not having 'my' class to teach and instruct and guide, greet and smile at on a daily basis.  Wow.  In fact, I stepped into the director's office and told her I was surprised at how much I missed it and that maybe next year I'd have to consider coming back if a spot opened up.

2 days later the director asked me to have a seat, pull up a chair, have a chat.......in all the ironic twists (as the director said 'it's totally a God thing'!) I could have ever imagined, the teacher I was subbing for (she took my MWF time slot for this school year) received an offer to teach 3rd grade, a job she really wanted as well.  Guess who jumped at the chance to teach MWF 4's again?!!  Well of course me!  So excited!

Not everyone understands the call to teach.  Even teachers often times don't understand the call....especially after a bad day.  But the happy faces of the kids, their joy and excitement at coming to school and learning everyday, their hugs and homemade pictures drawn just for their teacher and the 'I'm really going to miss you' at the end of the school year completely remind those of us that teach why we teach. And if we get lucky enough to have fantastic parents as part of the package for the year, well, that's a big bonus!!

I start back October 1st.....just enough time to unfile all the stuff I just got round to filing a couple weeks ago!  Yay!

2 comments:

Robin said...

That's great! I'm glad you are doing what you love.

The Wades said...

The same exact job?? Crazy. I'd say it was meant to be. Congratulations.

Oh, and I get the call to teach. I was sitting in Brooke's social studies class the other night during open house missing the daily grind of the classroom. I'd probably be tempted if we weren't so busy in October and December. You think they'd let me have off those months??