Thursday, August 26, 2010

certifiably, undeniably, NUTS!

The schedule has hit the fan.   The reality of 4 soccer teams, 4 practices and games on Saturdays has now been relayed via the start up of team practices and the 'preliminary' league game schedule. We, laughably, tried to get it all written down yesterday and all I could do was laugh and say 'are you kidding?'.  I mean, seriously, why did we let the older boys' choose if they wanted to play 'just one more year'?!  I know why we did it but I'm thinkin' we should have just been mean and said no.
Next week the madness will begin.  So far, Mondays are lookin' pretty tame with nothing extracurricular scheduled.  Yet.  But I think that might be the day Eric's cub scout meetings get scheduled.  Hopefully it will be an every other week kind of deal.

Tuesdays: Luke, Laurel, Gregory and Jacob have practices at 2 different parks at 3 different times.  Add in needing to drop off and pick up Eric at religious education at 5:45 and then send the boys to boy scouts after their practice-it all equals a very late dinner and crabby kids more than likely.  We've told the boys to utilize their time on the bus, it's about a 25 minute ride, to get a head start on homework on these crazy days!

Wednesdays: Gregory's music lesson which he has to be taken to immediately after stepping off the bus, followed by Eric's one night of soccer practice.  Almost sounds easy.  Yeah right.

Thursdays: Same as Tuesday minus the scouting.

Friday: Well, so far so good.  Nothing scheduled except for the once a month cub scout pack meetings.

Saturdays: Better eat my Wheaties and beg friends and family.....namely my parents.  The day would probably be a whole lot easier to figure out except Bill works Saturdays- however he will be able to get off to coach the games for the two teams he is coaching.  That leaves Laurel and the older boys with small hopes of him being able to see their games.  Add in the boys refereeing some soccer games, some occasional scouting events, and we get a very packed day.  When to eat?  Who knows!

Sundays: Church, occasional scouting events and Jacob's music lesson in the afternoon.

I will never understand how parents manage to have their kids in sports year round.  For us, the first day of soccer practice starts the countdown for when it'll be done and over with for the season.  Don't get me wrong, we really enjoy the game and watching our kids play, so that part of it is OK.  But the sheer madness that surrounds getting food into tummies and water bottles accounted for and snacks packed and homework discussed and bathing squeezed in......stressful!  It's obviously a schedule we created and we knew that it was going to be bad for 8 weeks, but that doesn't make it any easier to figure out!

I think I'm going to start the countdown early........

2 comments:

Mamato3 said...

We all engage in such craziness because ... it's fun!?!? Yeah... and we are a bit crazy, have no recollection of a previous way of life, love to use color-coded pens on the calendar ... and for me, I'm hoping for at least one of my dear children to remember these moments when it comes to choosing my retirement home. :) These are all good things and they say that we will miss these days when they are gone...until then, hang on for the ride, my friend!

The Wades said...

I always get stressed just hearing about your soccer schedules. Calgon!