Monday, July 5, 2010

Smooth as glass

It's not often the phrase 'smooth as glass' can be used to describe lake water.  However, it is the most sought after kind of days.  The days, that as a family of lake junkies, we sure hope for!!  And today was the exception to the norm.  Today was our 'water as smooth as glass' day.  The wind was calm, the lake was much quieter as holiday weekend traffic pulled out, and the water was so inviting!  It was calm enough for the sun to actually glint off the water.  The water had that hypnotic feel as you gently put your hand down in the water and feel the line of it start to cover your skin.  It may seem so strange to be so excited about lake water, but for us, it just makes us smile and say 'awesome, the water was so awesome today!

Another descriptive phrase we don't often get the opportunity to use in association with lake water is 'soft to the touch'.  Trust me, after meeting the water face first while skiing 20 some odd miles per hour, soft is the last thing I would say about it.  But today, it was soft.  Soft to the touch, and now that I can ski a lot better than I used to, it was even soft to land in!  Kind of funny that last summer, my dad, or whoever was pulling me, had to purposely stay clear of other boats wakes for fear I'd fall and break my face in some glorious water face plant.  This year?  I think they might actually look for some to drive through to see how much I can handle!  I am much more confident this summer.  See?  I even skied one handed so that I could reach down and touch that soft stuff!  And I crossed the wakes many times without biffing!
When we were on vacation in Utah a few weeks ago, Bill came across a seadoo new used 3 person tube.  Yes, being in different cities ignites the craigslist passion within that husband of mine.  moving on, the guy was selling the tube for $20...a $300 tub for just $20.  It was missing 2 valve tops and he just wanted to get rid of it.  Well OK then!  In swoops Bill.  After finding replacement valve caps online (on Amazon, his other obsession) for just $15, the tube was ready to go for the weekend!  Kids all give it a big thumbs up! 

In fact, they just flipped for it!
And they're still smiling after being totally dumped out! 
This was the first time Bill has managed to dump ALL the passengers out of the tube.  I'm sure it won't be the last.

Of course Parker enjoyed his day swimming, fetching, and ROLLING in mud, mixed in with a little cow poo I believe.  Yep, it's gross, but then he gets back in the water and he's good to go!
Chalk it up to another great weekend at the lake. Sometimes, it feels like summer isn't long enough.  Then we get to drive home with them all.  Too bad the lake isn't closer to our house!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Glad you enjoyed your lake. We're enjoying ours!

Karen said...

Look at you go Cari!!!! Glad you are having a great time..looks like a blast!

The Wades said...

Cari, studly! Love it.

You have some fabulous pics here. Made me feel like I was there minus having to wear my bathing suit (which pleases me greatly!)