Typically it seems like PTA's have to BEG folks to help out. Well, this year, the PTA at the kids school has been a menagerie of weirdness and so what began 6 weeks ago as a 'step up to the plate, I'm ready to serve' decision, has turned into a whole other arena of, well, weirdness. Yesterday I had to write up an introduction about myself to be distributed to the PTA membership. There's now someone else running for the position at the last minute. While the by laws of the PTA obviously allow and cover how to handle run-offs, it just puts such an odd feel to it. High schoolish I suppose. As a 35 year old mother, I can't say that I would choose to run against someone for a volunteer position, but the stakes are too high to back out...and so....I came up with some good things to say about myself. That's always a lesson in humility!! This is another one of those 'posterity posts'. Not one I put together for pure entertainment.......it's actually kind of boring, but if you knew the whole story behind it, the stress and struggles and the ping-pong match it has been, you'd totally get it! And that whole part of it has NOT been boring. Nope, it has been anything but that. It could have earned the title 'As the PTA Turns'......really.....
Hello,
My name is Cari and I am currently running for PTA president. I am mom to 5
great, keep-me-on-my-toes, kids. My oldest twins will be heading on to Middle
School next year, my middle child will be in third grade and my youngest twins will be
entering Kindergarten.
I have served on the PTA board as VP of Communications for the past 2 years and have
enjoyed my job of doing my absolute best to keep you all informed of events and needs
for our school. I have witnessed just how much communication can bring people
together and make them feel part of a community and that we are all in the school
experience together. I firmly believe that communication, organization and dedication
are very important pieces to working well as a team. I consider myself a detail oriented
person and believe that trait to be an asset when working in a large group setting/
environment. I also feel that I am good at taking new ideas/strategies and incorporating
them to get a job done (thinking outside the box), while also utilizing and maintaining
what has worked well in the past.
Prior to my experience volunteering with the CES PTA, I was president of the local
Albuquerque Mothers of Twins club for 2 years, VP of membership for 1 year, and the
Clothing/Equipment Sales Committee chair for nearly 6 years. All of these jobs required me
to work cohesively with a board of over 20 women, as well as organizing the sales with
over 80 participants per sale.
I am very much looking forward to the opportunity to serve you, our school and
students, as PTA president and working in a collaborative effort with the rest of the
upcoming 2010-2011 PTA board, should you give me the opportunity. Thank you!
So, will you vote for me? ha ha! Blogger did something weird to the spacing, sorry for the jumbled up feel!
4 comments:
You have my vote!
What a great letter! I'd vote for you!
Do they accept out-of-state votes? Cuz you've got mine.
I was also going to throw my vote into the mix. I'll tell my friend Melissa to vote for you. Does that count?
Post a Comment