Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pain Threshold

Laying in the hospital bed with my mom yesterday held such different emotions than it had the day before.  I was able to just 'be' there without breaking in to tears without warning.  And the pain she was wincing at and grimacing through held new meaning too.  No longer was it being caused by some uninvited growth, it was caused by the surgery that took it out.  So the goal yesterday and today is to get her pain under control with meds she takes by mouth since they took away the pain pump.  What was first prescribed wasn't cuttin' it yesterday so another med was added in.  I am anxious to find out how she did last night.  The doctor told her she can more than likely come home TODAY so long as the pain can be controlled.  I'm very happy she'll be home but really want her to be comfortable before they release her.  Thankfully she is eating. Ii had to do the whole 'eat that many bites' game with her last night.  I told her 'I am wise to your ways, remember, I have WAY too much practice at this whole food negotiation game'!!  At that point she realized she was not going to win that battle!

Something really interesting....because my mom is skinny as a rail and has no extra skin, the surgeon was able to 'glue' her incision together.  Granted the whole inside of the incision is stitched, the outside has NO stitches or staples, just glue.  How weird is that?  I guess he informed my mom that they don't get to do that very often, as the majority of hospital patients are not that thin.  Kind of nice that she won't have to go back to get staples or stitches removed!

And on the home front while I was at the hospital yesterday-Laurel got a Zu-Zu pet stuck in her hair.  I don't know how many times I have told her to be sure she keeps things with spinning wheels AWAY from her hair!!  To show how well trained he is, Luke went and found a camera, handed it to Bill and said 'take a picture of it for the blog Daddy'!  Oh my gosh......I don't know if I should give him a high 5 or tell him how sorry I am!!!
Thankfully Bill exhibited some patience and chose to pop the wheel off the thing rather than cut it out with scissors.  Perhaps NOW she understands?!

Hopefully the next post will be all about my mom coming HOME!!  I'm not sure who will be happier she's home...my kids or her cat!

4 comments:

Robin said...

You know you're a blogger when...

Your 5 yr old brings the camera when his sister is in pain!

Yea for you mom coming home!

Heather said...

Glad your mom is headed home.

We did the whole hair in the wheels thing with Madelyn and a Thomas train when she was 2 or 3. We did scissors though.

The Wades said...

A-DORE this post on so many levels. My vote is definitely a high five!! What a kid. That's so very hilarious and so very awesome that he knew that would make a good blog post. Classic.

I've heard they attack hair. That looked painful. Then, out of the blue, I started laughing. So funny that the hamster is curled up in her hair and her brother is bringing a camera to Dad.

I also thought it was cute you were playing the eating game with your mama. She should know how good you have to be with that. Great.

Oh, Brooke lay down on a mat at La Cueva one time and got velcro stuck to her french braids. It was horrendous.

Anonymous said...

What a laugh this made me do. Glad to see you guys are still making funnies after the week you have endured. - Too bad at Laurel's expense :)


Glad to see things looking up!

Karen