In the midst of my mom's hospitalization and surgery, Gregory was preparing for a once in a lifetime opportunity...literally! He and 2 other classmates were chosen to sing with the 5th grade Elementary School Honor Choir. 2-3 children from each elementary school in our school district were chosen to participate. He was chosen in January and had to memorize 6 songs to sing, along with about 100 other 5th graders.
One of his classmates and his music teacher this year at school-Ms. Bell
He sang very well......put it this way, his mouth was moving and sound was coming out. There was no way to sit close enough to actually hear him! He was very proud of his accomplishment and finished the day with big smiles. He's also liking the shirt with his name listed on the back......Way to go honey!
After letting him enjoy this experience, I have to say that I feel like the things expected from me in 5th grade pale in comparison to today's kids. The rehearsal for this concert was an ALL DAY thing. He had to be there at 9am for check in and the concert wasn't until 5pm. There was obviously adult supervision but there weren't tons of parents hanging around all day. I say there is no way in heck my parents would have let me go to something that long when I was 10. I don't know...it really seems like kids grow up too fast these days! Granted, I had no doubt that Gregory could handle a long day like that, but it makes me feel a bit conflicted that it's something he's growing up so quickly TO be able to handle it! Probably makes absolutely no sense, but I know what I mean...and that counts for something.....I think.....Another example that we truly have more responsible, ready for bigger things,boys in the house? Yesterday there was a big festival at the church here in our village. The boy scout troop volunteers their time to help with various tasks because the church is where they meet weekly. All the scouts signed up for time slots and G and J signed up for 2pm-6pm. They helped direct traffic (eegads....how crazy is that?) and take trash out along with other helpful tasks. My babies did the whole thing without Bill or I there-of course there was adult leadership, but still...it's a really big step towards 'the big leagues' where we will more and more have to trust that all the things we have taught them over the years so far will come to the forefront of thought and lead them in the right direction. Of course there's still so much for them to learn, but still........
Gee, I think I was able to wait until a couple years more before having that on my shoulders! I believe girl scout camp was the first time I was away from my parents and I didn't go by myself until....oops, I just remembered that it was the end of 5th grade. Well, how about them apples? Maybe I'm just being a sentimental mom after all. Fulfilling my duties to the best of my abilities apparently!
No comments:
Post a Comment