I attended my first prom when I was a sophomore and Bill was a senior
We (my parents and I) looked many places for my dress and actually found it in a store in Phoenix, although it was a gun metal gray. We came home and ordered it from the Empress Shop...anyone remember the HOT PINK building on San Mateo/Indian School? Yep, that's the one!
Bill had to wrap me in a sheet so the dress wouldn't drag across dirty car parts...although, he always spent the day detailing his car before he picked me up for prom!
Our first prom dinner, Bill took me to Eulalia's-a restaurant that was housed in the old La Posada Hotel downtown. The waiters were all excellent singers and each night was themed. The night we went it was Phantom of the Opera. It was also the same restaurant my parents took us to when I turned 16...my first official date with him!
I'm kind of drawing a blank on the second dinner.....maybe McGrath's? But I do know our last prom dinner, Bill took me to Luna Mansion, a lovely restaurant housed in an old mansion in Los Lunas. It was a 45 minute drive just to dinner!
My favorite corsage that he gave me was made out of 2 small calla lily's. And it was actually too big to wear so he held it in place while we had our picture taken.....we had a little argument about how best to do 'display'it for the photos too! After we had our pictures taken he had to take it back to the car so it didn't get destroyed!
Prom theme for dance #1 was Italian...how exactly I don't remember and it was held at the convention center downtown.
Prom #2 theme? I don't really remember but I know it was held at the hotel Ramada right across the street from Coronado mall. The hotel has now changed names about 50 times! Prom #3 was held in the Student Union ballroom on the UNM campus. yeah, that was fun parking and trekking across campus in heels and a full length gown!
Prior to leaving fro prom #3, we all went to a model home with stairs and took pictures! it was pretty fun since I really wanted pictures on stairs...don't ask me why....and the people were very accommodating too! I know, they probably thought we were weird too.
And last but not least, the gown still hangs in my closet. i know full well that Laurel will never wear it and I have serious doubts as to whether my hips could fit in it again......but it makes me happy seeing the full skirt peek out from the bottom of the garment bag that covers it. I have nothing but very fond memories from the days of wearing the dress!!!
Bill made me a collage of our prom pictures and it still hangs on our wall. i have about 100 more pictures that cover all the prom experiences, from my mom and I curling my hair EVERY time, to a picture of a match book with Bill's writing telling my parents where we were going for dinner! I think I'm going to need a whole hard drive just for dance pictures when our kids get that old!!
4 comments:
Ah, yes. I remember the hunt for "the dress". It was great seeing all those pics again. How YOUNG you both look in them…but you look as deliriously happy now as you did then.
The dress is beautiful!
I have a dress that exact color, my bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding.
You too are so cute!
This was so precious!!! Yall are so cute and in looooooooooove! I love that you crashed a model home just for the backdrop! Whahahaha! My kinda gal! xoxo
Oh my beautiful gorgeous daughter. How I loved those special times with you, searching for a dress you would love. It didn't matter much about price, just if you really loved it. I loved watching you trying on dresses/gowns and coming out of the dressing room to model them for me. This one was too low, that one too long in length, this one Bill wouldn't like, this one not fancy enough. But it didn't really matter what gown we bought, you were always the princess of the evening and tha ball. Your prince had stars in his eyes and only saw YOU. And we, your parents were so proud that you dressed up, wanted all the fancy things. Willingly posed for hundreds of pictures. And a wonderful Bill - a young man who came into our life to 'steal you away' - a man we trusted our daughter with to do just that. What more could a mother ask for! All of us were so blessed by God in your beauty, your perfection, your choice of a husband.
Post a Comment