There have been so many events that have taken place over the past 2 weeks, it's just crazy! I'm a little overwhelmed just figuring out which should be documented first on the blog. Do I post about the most recent while it's fresh in my mind, or post about the event from a couple weeks ago before I completely forget?! A dilemma......I think I'm going with the event from a couple weeks ago.
On the Saturday before my mom's surgery, we had kids at opposite ends of town for 2 very different events. Today's post covers 4 out of 5 kids as we participated in a cub scouts family fun event. A bike rodeo, fire safety demonstration thanks to one of our local fire departments, and arm wrestling competitions thanks to a local pro arm wrestling group. Did you know such a thing existed? I sure did not until that day! Sadly, the event was poorly attended for a couple reasons, but those of us there enjoyed it all!
The very first thing the kids wanted to check out was the fire trucks and all the gear that goes along with it. All of our kids have always loved climbing on up and pretending, imagining, in awe of the firetruck and all its gadgets
A firefighter than walked the kids all the way around the rig, opening up all the compartments along the way. This whole pack weighed over 30 pounds. Laurel proclaimed that she could lift it all by herself...little did she know the nice firefighter behind her was supporting the whole darn thing!
The fire department brought along a simulator that when started, allowed this camper to fill with smoke. The activity is meant to help children learn the basics of stop, drop and roll. The kids all went through it-I think it is a really great tool to use to teach kids- I was also surprised it didn't freak the little ones out!
After bouncing in the bouncer and riding bikes, we all moved on to the arm wrestling stations.....oh my gosh. Talk about hilarious! Eric and his friend challenged each other-
Bill and I gave it a try but there are no pictures to prove it. I basically used all my weight by hanging on the arm platform, plus both hands......he still kicked my butt! And then Jacob and I gave it a try. Good times....I think I won?! I'm not sure that's something a mother should brag about! Although, the guy to the right seems to think it's great!
Despite the cold weather and poor turn out, it was a fun morning for us. It kept my mind busy since we had received the news only the night before that the surgeon thought my mom's pain was being caused by a possible cancerous tumor.
While all this was going on, Gregory was rehearsing at an all day choral event. He was among 3 5th grade students from his school to participate in a district wide Elementary School Honor Choir. That'll be the next post I do believe.....
No comments:
Post a Comment