Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The things kids sing....

Earlier today, L and L's preschool teacher, also my co-worker, posted on FaceBook that she thought it was pretty funny that one of her students was singing 'Mr. Roboto' today in class. And last week they were singing Bon Jovi. She added a 'you know who you are......:-)' at the end of her post, so I was guessing it was my kids. Ding ding ding, give that girl a prize! Yep, they are turning into iPod junkies, constantly requesting songs and it's getting to the point that I actually have to think about the song before it plays. Hmmm, is this song OK for them to repeat?

Now, it's not like we listen to raunchy music......not at all. But even some country songs aren't exactly appropriate for 5 year olds to repeat. Like Lady Antebellum's 'I Need You Now'. You know the verse....'it's a quarter after 1, I'm a little drunk and I need you now'.....yeah, that one is off limits. Laurel, of all the kids, seems to have gotten the big picture that songs on the radio have meaning at such an early age and she asks about songs and what the words mean all the time! I'm having to think and get creative.......so much for stuff being over their heads anymore!

The Bon Jovi song that they were singing was 'You Give Love a Bad Name'. I have to shrug my shoulders and sigh......Bon Jovi has some really good songs......and of course that one starts off 'Shot through the heart' OY! We really started listening to Bon Jovi music recently since Discovery uses their music as lead-ins to 2 of our favorite programs. 'Deadliest Catch' uses Bon Jovi's 'Wanted Dead or Alive'. Oh, Bill cranks that one up as loud as he can.......and our other favorite show that Discovery airs is 'Storm Chasers' and they use "Blaze of Glory' as the lead in song. It's all good......

Another favorite request? A song we danced to at our wedding as the reception was coming to an end. All 4 One's version of 'I Swear'. It's also sung by John Michael Montgomery, but at the time we got married we couldn't stand country music...funny, that's the majority of what we listen to now! I wonder what folks might think when Laurel goes about her business singing 'I swear' without any of the other lyrics! A new one we like is Miranda Lambert's new release 'The House that Built Me'. One of the lines says 'I bet you didn't know that under that live oak, my favorite dog is buried in the yard'.....it's actually as pretty touching song, but that one line taken out of context, well, folks just might think we are kinda morbid! It is known as 'the song with the dog buried in the yard'. Nice.........

I'm just glad they LIKE music. I grew up in a house that always had music playing and to this day I cannot drive without something playing in the car. I love to hear them sing. The appropriate songs that is!! I'm getting pretty good with the fast forward button......

No comments: