Saturday, January 9, 2010

High school girly friends reunite!

When I was a freshman in high school, I met a girl who would become on of my best friends and confidants during those tumultuous years. We cruised the mall, took a picture with Santa Clause one holiday season (what WERE we thinking?), had sleepovers, laughed through band functions and road trips, took my cute boyfriend Bill on a shopping trip when we BOTH decided his clothes needed a serious makeover, ate dinner at the Olive Garden with our friend Katie, all the while I grinned and blushed as my boyfriend Bill walked past the table and gave me the eye, had a great trust with each other, shared secrets and gossip, and saved an entire page in the yearbook for each other to sign.

Then, she graduated a year before me, went to college hundreds of miles away and we didn't get to see much of each other. She came to our wedding and continued on with life hundreds of miles away from mine. We lost touch for a number of years.....after all, Face Book and free long distance calls hadn't come on scene yet. But we were both living happy lives.
And today? I had lunch with her and her husband. We smiled and laughed and reminisced a bit. She met my kids for the first time and got to see Bill again too. Thank you Face Book. You've brought friends back together again!
This is for our friend Katie, who loves in Lubbock, Texas, attended Texas Tech and is a total Red Raiders kind of girl. We thought we'd give her a good tease with the UT Austin's sign (at least I hope we're making the right sign-we're not too sign smart...sorry about the eyes Tris but it's the only one Bill took).....
OK Katie, here you go-GUNS UP!!! Is that better?!! Hmmmm? Had you been here today for lunch, we probably would have gotten kicked out of Flying Star for disturbing the other patrons with wild laughter and snorting sounds. Now that would have been FUN!
Let's not take another 14 years for this to happen again, Trista. I've missed you!

3 comments:

Robin said...

So glad you got to reconnect. I love Facebook for that.

Anne said...

Your Hook 'Em Horns is dead-on, girl!
:0P

So fun to find old friends!!! And even better when its like you haven't missed anytime at all!

The Wades said...

What a cool story. Strangely, I got chills. :)