Thursday, January 14, 2010

The beach in November?

There are days (often times multiple days) around here where nothing much noteworthy happens that I feel warrants a post. Oh, I could go on an on about various conversations and shouting matches, but I see no need to scare off all 10 of my blog friends at the same time- So while I finish up the goods necessary to put up 2 new posts I figure I'll go back to our trip to Orlando and post about our ever so fun beach experience. And I'm not even being sarcastic!


The day before we were to come home, we had the very unique opportunity to see the space shuttle Atlantis launch into space. In order to be sure we had a place to view it other than paying through the nose to be 'really' up close and personal on the NASA grounds, we chose a beach at Port Canaveral, one that was recommended on their website, as a good place to see the launch. We wanted to be sure we could find a place to park so we arrived at the beach by 10am. We had until 2:30 to play around and pray no one had any major accidents!


We came prepared to play-we brought plastic spoons and miscellaneous kitchen stuff from the condo. Yeah, probably not what it was intended for, but we made sure to clean it all up before we returned it!

The beach is such a fun and totally enjoyable place for my kids. They all love the water, despite the fact that salt water in the eyes, up the nose, and down the throat HURTS! You won't find me frolicking in the waves, no thank you, but I am more than happy to get my toes wet and get some fabulous pictures of THEM and their dad having an absolute blast. I'm not sure this kid is having a good time.....no?!
As you can tell in this next picture, Luke got completely wiped out while hanging on to daddy.
But came up all smiles! What a trooper and a boy after his own daddy's heart!
I, on the other hand, would have been spitting like crazy to get the stuff out of my mouth and probably cryin' since it got in my eyes. Again, that's why I take the pictures! Laurel had just as much courage and fun. She has no problem keeping up with the boys.
And this, this my friends is the REAL reason we HAD to make it to the beach. Yeah yeah, the space shuttle was pretty once in a lifetime, but we brought these babies from home. Packed them in their very own bag, along with the wetsuits and life vests, checked them on the plane, stuffed them in the car, unloaded them at the condo, left them in the closet and paid no attention to them until this very day.........
And even more coincidental about it is that we gave the boys these boogie boards for their birthday the last time we were in Orlando in 2004. If I could find the file on the computer I'd post a picture with 'Happy 5th Birthday' written on the plastic covering them while we stayed at a different condo 5 years ago! Pretty cool......and so they had a blast riding the waves!

Even Luke, Laurel and Eric got a turn on the boards. I think we need a beach in New Mexico.....fat chance, huh? We ended our beach day with bags full of snacks and sandwiches, wetsuits full of sand, hair full of salt water and the camera filled with memories of some super fun time spent as a family! Until we meet again ocean.......

1 comment:

The Wades said...

That looks like a fabulous time! And yes, you got some really great pictures. They could almost motivate me to load my crew up and head for salty waters--almost!

You guys really do take the best vacations.