Up until this point, I've been actually feeling pretty in control of all the 'stuff' that now has obliterated our monthly calendar. But I definitely have my moments...like this morning.
-Eric was in his usual 'I can get distracted by just about ANYTHING' mode
-Laurel was refusing breakfast with her usual flair
-I had to get on Eric (not literally mind you) 50 times to SIT and EAT..I swear I just need to have him learn dog commands, maybe that'll make life easier.
-Luke wanted ME to put his socks on and only ME to push him in at the table, despite the fact that a big brother had already helped him.
-I was subbing at preschool so I needed to get out the door by 8:15
-Eric was stalling in making his lunch...and brushing his teeth
-someone kept going into the office and leaving the door open (our office rarely sees the light of day-and there are GOOD reasons for that, so when the door gets left open it drives me crazy)
-the dog went out in the front yard and got his feet wet and then proceeded to trek across the CLEAN mopped floor, which I am trying to keep 'clean' (in some form or another) until Bunco meets at my house Monday...I know, the clean floor thing will never happen.
-the gate remote quit working
-let's see, I know there was something else.....hmmmm....
And bless Gregory's heart, he tried to help the best he could. He got L and L into their car seats and buckled them in, asked if I needed anything else and hugged me as I stomped out into the garage. He seems to be the one most sensitive to my 'I'm going over the edge' moments and tries to help.
And really, what else should I expect? It was a choice for me to work this year, not a necessity, although given that braces are right around the corner, I may have to edit that comment in the near future. And any extra money helps....even if it is tiddly winks....you know teacher pay, especially preschool, it isn't much. It does add a bit to the stress of the morning, although honestly, the behavior of 5 kids on a tight time schedule to get out the door would drive me batty whether I was working or not. Thankfully I am much more at ease with teaching this year. Whether it is because I have a year under my belt or because I don't feel so stressed trying to cram learning into 2 days since I now teach 3-I'm not sure, but either way I feel so much better about it. And if given the choice, I wouldn't choose to not teach. I like where I work, I like those I work with and I like the fact that small children do actually listen to me.....makes me feel like less of a parenting idiot after spluttering on and on from 7 to 8 am with my own kids!
Why do we let ourselves get so uptight about stuff....Bill and I know it's coming.....we see the soccer/cub scout/work/family obligations mapped out on the calendar. Black and white, plain and simple...all the different colors that grace the dry erase monthly calendar give us fair warning. The problem? I think we forget to breathe. Just breathe. And I think we forget that in some ways, a large family has to deal with life in the fast lane. There isn't a whole lot of time to sit idle...oh no, it's 0 to 60 in 10 seconds flat or we'll get run over.
SO, I'm breathing. Practicing anyways. Tomorrow is another day. Perhaps Eric will wake up and be on the ball....perhaps all the kids will wake up and be on the ball-HA HA!! Just about as likely as me waking up with good breath...but hey, one can always hope. All there is tomorrow is work, school, soccer games, soccer skills night, a cub scout pack meeting and a trip to the grocery store. Just breathe.........
3 comments:
I'm having a hard time breathing after reading this!
I think of you often before I totally lose my cool with just my three.
You should write more about how you DO do it!
Oh my goodness...that post made my head spin! I have no idea how you do it!!!!
I saw on yahoo that you guys are about to have the hot air ballon festival. Is that something you take the kids to see...I would LOVE to come see it one day!
Post a Comment