Sunday, July 5, 2009

Home!!!

Whew! We made it home today. The kids were so ready to be done with the car. A good indicator to Bill and I that they are OVER the car? When it doesn't matter what we put in the DVD player.....the noise, whining and picking on each other keeps up and Luke starts in with 'I'm hungry' while Laurel says 'I'm thirsty'. Thankfully our kids aren't bad about 'I have to go to the bathroom'


So, the trip home wasn't without excitement however. Long about 2:30 pm yesterday we came up on a rather nasty storm. Shamrock, Texas. Ever heard of Shamrock, Texas? Well, we won't ever forget the place. I'm pretty sure we drove through the closest we've ever been to a tornado. Cars and trucks were pulled off the highway, lightening, thunder, driving, fierce wind and hail. I HATE hail. We pulled off and went for shelter by a hotel. Not before having to drive in the middle of the road because it's all we could see. The wind was so bad that it popped the lid open on one of our car boxes. I wish I would have gotten a picture of Bill wading through a field picking up articles of clothing that had been blown out (a last minute bag of clean clothes was what came out. They weren't clean after that). Instead I was glued to my seat watching clouds around us praying they weren't funnel clouds! Of course he wasn't out playing in the field during the worst of it, but it was still nasty.


Evidence.....after we had our wits about us again, we pulled off to double check the car and gear... We thought we lost our bag full of swimsuits/rashguards, but Bill found it.... Next time we see this, we're driving the OTHER WAY!!So much more fun to share. But first, I've got 5 suitcases to unload....not so fun.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Glad you made it safely through the storm! Yikes!! Wizard of Oz anyone??

Janet

Robin said...

We drove through a nasty storm yesterday too, but a little closer to home - just this side of Tucumcari. Thanks goodness Zach wasn't driving at the time!

The Wades said...

I would have been scared out of my mind! I tend to worry a wee bit more than the normal Joe.

Glad you're all safe. Hey, at least you weren't hot, right? ;)