Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Too early!

6 am is too early to be awake, especially when bedtime was only 6 hours ago. But it's all for a good cause. Bill just left to take my mom and dad to the bus station. The bus station. Why the bus station at this hour? Well, it's kind of long story!

A couple of weeks ago we got a call from my brother. And he was in Gallup. Usually he's in California, but he was in the middle of a mission trip with youth from his church.....in the Gallup area....and the transmission on his Excursion completely failed, leaving the group in a lurch since he was pulling a large trailer with all their stuff as well as providing passenger space. They were stuck....every other conceivable way of getting all the kids and their stuff home just wasn't going to work, so he asked to borrow our Suburban and now our Suburban is hanging out in California. His Excursion (with a new transmission) is hanging out in Gallup. How to get them to their proper owners? My wonderful parents. They are riding the bus to Gallup, picking up the Excursion, driving it to my brother, visiting with them and my aunt for a few days and then driving our Suburban home. A car is just a car, but we've found ourselves wondering how our car is doing out there! Is it homesick? Is it tired of the California commute? Is it ready to come home and be the slacker it was before.....mainly taking up space in the garage since we don't drive it often? Silly, I know, but it's the farthest away our car has been without us.......sure hope it doesn't give us attitude when it gets home. Ha-ha!

And the job prospects? The up and down, ebb and flow of our lives these days? More of the same, not enough of the stability I was so hoping we'd be feeling by now. I know you may be getting tired of hearing about it, both here and in person for those who know me in both places, but the reality of it is......it's our reality. I have to remain true to why I started this blog, as a way to mark time, record memories, document the emotions of the moments as our lives keep marching forward. I, too, sincerely hope there are way more exciting things to blog about in the near future, but for now, this takes center stage.

I was handling the ups and downs, hopes and dashed hopes, messed up processes and procedures much better a few weeks ago. The past 5 or 6 days have been ratcheting up in the 'I cry at the drop of a hat' department. Everyday, the upheaval of wonderful possibility followed by the crushing blow of 'that idea didn't pan out' is pushing me to limits I really don't want to have to handle. And Bill is trying his best to be there for both of us, to assure me we'll be OK.....poor guy, he's got enough on his plate. God had blessed us immensely in the fact that this is really one of the hardest things we have had to deal with both as husband and wife and as parents. For that, I can't help but be anything but grateful. I hope He has plans to get us back to where we were and soon. And I pray he gives me hope, and patience, and sleep, and a box of Kleenex for the waterworks I am becoming so good at producing.

2 comments:

The Wades said...

Your parents truly are wonderful! Man, they are always there when you guys need them. I think they're keepers--you should probably hang on to them. Plus, how cool of you to share your Suburban.

Cari, I don't think a single one of us is sick of hearing about what you have going on. Really we're just frustrated and sad for you guys and appreciate you letting us know so we don't have to keep asking if there is any news. No apologies, my friend.

Hang in there. Let us be there for you in blogland.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i agree with the wades, hang in there. we are here for you with support + prayers.