Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine's Cards times 5!

Painful...to a parent of 5 kids, this time of year is painful. 5 kids in a class of some sort..with a total of 50 ish Valentine's cards to prepare. Thank goodness the older 3 can take care of themselves...but you see, it's not as easy as it used to be. Oh no, it can't simply be 'here honey, take these cards to school and pass them out to your friends'.......no, it's the cards and the pressure to think of something creative or yummy or just plain old EXTRA to attach to those cards...which by the way are SHRINKING in size as the years go by.

Hello card makers, do you know what it's like for a 1st grader to have to write 'Savannah' on a line sized to hold the name 'Sam'? C'mon.....I can't even write small enough to fit the names on there......agony.....and I haven't even begun to help Luke and Laurel with theirs. They don't technically need to write their names on them yet, do they? When is it frowned upon for it to be filled out in mom's handwriting? 1st grade...anyone? I guess since I am a preschool teacher I should LET them try. No wonder they sell boxes that come with 32 cards per box...for all the screw-ups!

It's mom guilt-the holiday is no longer just about husband/wife guilt...now the mom guilt comes into play. I just know they are going to come home with some cute bag stuffed with cute stuff and what will their friends get from them? Well, if I don't eat all the chocolate chip cookies before then (I put them in the freezer, that should help) they'll get bags containing cookies...but then the dilemma of HOW MANY do I put in each bag arises. 2 cookies looks pretty lame, but if I put 3 in a bag I'll need to cook more. And do plain zip-locs scream out 'my mom doesn't have any time?' Do I need to tie each bag with a fancy ribbon...see what I mean? GUILT! Sorry to say, but Luke and Laurel's classmates are getting bags of heart shaped fruit snacks....which will probably end up in the trash in some homes since those things really aren't that good.....but hey, they market them in a box covered with hearts and Luke eats them so they can't be all that bad........right? Who has time for this? I don't evn have a card for Bill this year..nor do I have cute stuff to give the kids in my preschool class-ACK!

Maybe I'll call in sick and spend the day HERE instead?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Amen sister! We have one set down, two to go. Of course those are the two sets that require the most help and coloring...what was I thinking?!
I can't even think about treat bags; we're just taping a piece of candy on. And when were envelopes phased out of class Valentines? I'm so behind...

Anonymous said...

I agree it's become quite the chore, the fun of valentine giving seems to have disappeared. For Sophia it has to be boy ones for the boys and girl ones for the girls so that's 2 separate sets of cards! Unless I can find something nongender specific! Take Care!

The Wades said...

This post spoke to me more that you'll ever, ever know!!! We haven't even started here. Let the torture begin!

The Wades said...

BTW, I love the bed shot!