Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Flashback Friday:Make new friends, but keep the old

Over the Christmas holiday, an old friend of mine came into town. Well, she's not old (unless of course I consider myself old.....naah, not yet), but our friendship is! We have known each other since kindergarten which is amazing to even say and even more so to think about! Granted we haven't kept in touch as well as we could have all these years, but we were able to rekindle some of what has escaped us over the past 10 years when we saw each other recently. So, here are some before pictures-

June 1983, our first Girl Scout troop camping experience. Can you guess which one is me?

That's right...I'm there bottom left, and my friend Sanna is the one
who I've got my arm draped around!

And here we are in 1984 after yet another Girl Scouting event, hammin' it up for the camera. Oh, I should mention that's my mom on the right and her mom behind us (since both our moms just might check this blog) !And guess what we're doing in this one? Yep, Girl Scout stuff...I know it's hard to tell with the costumes we have on, so I wanted to be sure you knew. Ha.Ha. I'm on the far right, Sanna is 2nd from the left. Circa 1985 And here we are lovin' on old Woodsy the Owl at...none other than...a Girl Scouting event in 1987! Seriously, we did have lives outside of girl scouts, I just don't have any documentation of it!! We had sleep overs and bday parties and walking down to the corner store and buying candy....candy cigarettes of all things!I can't find one we took from her wedding, but here she is at my baby shower when I was pregnant with set of twins #1. I think this was near the end of March 1999.


The boys were born 6 weeks later. Kristin is the other girl in the picture. The three of us had this tortured yet oh-so-close, you-have-to-play with ME friendship from the first grade on. We ended up in the councilor's office and principal's office more times than I care to remember because we either LOVED each other and got along nicely, or HATED each other and made life living hell for each other. Oh my word it was awful!! We spent a lot of recesses inside writing paragraphs on how we would try to get along together........girls, they're tough!

And so here we are just a week or so ago. She had a baby almost a year ago-he's a cutie. So, we've come full circle and have once again found some common ground and the memories have returned. I'm glad to have her back in my life since we share so much history. Other than parents and siblings, she's known me the longest!

And I'm glad to say we have learned HOW TO PLAY NICE!!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I have a 2 close-knit friends like that, and I look forward to when they too have kids so we can have more in common again. You have gorgeous kids, BTW!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

aww, that is incredibly sweet!

Kristen said...

Wow, that is soooo nice!

UtahJenny said...

I have two friends from my EARLY years, and we went through our rounds of ups and downs, must be a girl thing - but all is good now, and there something about those old friends being "gold" in our lives. Nice memories!!!

MommyOf1Plus2Plus1 said...

Good for you Cari! Old friends are good for the soul. My 'oldest' friend dates back to 4th grade.

I also wanted to compliment you on the new lay out of your site, where did you get it?

The Wades said...

What a great post! I love Flashback Fridays.

I could immediately pick you out. Must be nice to have not changed at all.