When Gregory and Jacob were born, well meaning friends and family told us 'enjoy it, it'll go by so fast'. Of course at the time we were dealing with preemies, feeding schedules, shifting sleeping patterns and 2 little babies that needed us for everything. We loved it and didn't truly understand why everyone kept telling us that...it didn't seem to be going by so fast at the time.
And then Eric was born-sweet and cuddly and ONE! He was a sweet baby and had this heart melting way of grabbing my finger as he nursed and fell asleep. A family of 5 and we lived in the moment with 3 under 3.
And then, along came Luke and Laurel. We were building a house, the boys were in kindergarten and soccer, Eric was in preschool....and from there on, that cliche began to really creep into our lives.
I was driving home last night after running an errand and I was going back in time in my thoughts and I got so sad as I tried to remember the boys first Christmas...couldn't. Bits and pieces yes, but kissing their sweet face that Christmas morning or following Christmas's-no. I can remember a little more of Eric's 1st Christmas, but not by much and although Luke and Laurel are the littlest, their 1st Christmas is somewhat of a blur too. How, how can that be? Memories I swore to myself that I would never forget are slowly fading and its only been 9 years! It makes me sad to think that in another 9 years, today will be a faded blur too. That the day to day grind we live, love and sometimes dread won't be so fresh in my mind.
And that's what I wish they would have told us when the boys were born-'your mind will fail you way before you are expecting it or prepared for it'. You don't have to a 'senior citizen' for the mind to fail you! I am so thankful for technology, for the ability to take as many pictures as we want, to video record special moments, and for blogging that has taken the place of my day planner where I would ocassionally jot down a few noteworthy happenings from the day or week.
If you feel the same way I do, take advantage of the things we have at our disposal at this time in our lives. It's so amazing that when my mom was growing up they took 10-25 pictures a YEAR and I can take that many in a day!
One of my favorite songs lately is sung by Trace Adkins and it's called 'You're Gonna Miss This' and the chorus is so fitting for this post and for my life-
'You're gonna miss this
you're gonna want this back
you're gonna wish these days
hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
so take a good look around
You may not know it now-
You're gonna miss this'
So, photo it, video it, blog it, live it, share it, commit it to memory even though it may not stay there, and find comfort in the fact that there are others that feel the exact same way.
2 comments:
Why did this make me cry? Man Cari, that was a touching post. And, you're so right about all of this!!!
I'm with you--they took the amount of pix I take in a single day in a whole year. Really amazing.
I adore that song.
I was just thinking this yesterday. I don't remember the twins Christmas when they were about 20 months old like Millie is now. About two or three weeks ago, I video taped a conversation with Millie, of which I could not understand a word of it, just jabber but she knew exactly what she was talking about! I taped it because I knew in a matter of weeks she would be stringing two and three words together and I would *never* have the babbling baby again! Sure enough, last night we get in the car and head to church and she points out the window and says "Christmas Lights!" One of those moments you rejoice in but also want to cry about!
Post a Comment