Sunday, November 30, 2008

On my way out...

Yes, I am slowly coming out of my turkey 'triptophan' induced stupor. It lasted days but I think it my have been more from the pies than the turkey. We had a very nice Thanksgiving day. It was cloudy and rainy and I LOVE that kind of weather. In moderation of course, but I always feel cozy and like I can handle everything when the weather is like that. I told you I was weird, didn't I?
We started the day off by watching the Macy's parade-well, SOME of us watched it while others poured over the ads or played elsewhere in the house. I think Luke and Laurel were the most excited to see the parade. Laurel and I enjoyed a few snuggles while we watched it all go by.
She even tried to be a Rockette (Luke too!), but I think she's got a ways to go!
And yes, her hair looks a bit tightly wound, doesn't it? She slept with sponge rollers and insisted I try and use the smaller ones this time. Let's just say she looked a LOT like Shirley Temple all day! Then before dinner, the boys stood up and read something they put together with my mom. She does neat things with them like that-things I wish I would do but never seem to have the time. Laurel got up to add her two cents worth at the end too.

And then it was off to the food line. My mom and I both cooked a turkey so there would be leftovers to send home, my grandma made the best gravy (it's tradition), and my mother in law made an old family recipe of red cabbage (it's been in their family for many years). My mom makes a homemade cranberry sauce recipe that Bill likes and of course there was all the regular trimmings as well.

Bill's Dad and JacobI'm perfectly happy with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, but who can forget dessert? My mom and grandma like Mince meat pie (I'll eat it occasionally), everyone except me likes pumpkin and there was also cherry pie (my favorite). My mother in law made those too! Yummy!! And then there's Laurel who doesn't like dessert and chose a pudding cup and ate 2 bites....I just don't know where she gets that from! She made the rounds and hugged Grandma, GG, Nana and mommy...Luke wanted in on the action too.Bill's mom above
My mom and Luke above

Now, can you guess which two numskulls got up at 4:20 in the morning to join the mayhem of black friday morning? Yup, that would be Bill and I.....another tradition which I'm actually beginning to wonder WHY we do it. Unless you forgo sleep and stand in a line all night, you're not gonna get the stuff you hoped to find! Wal-Mart was a mad house, we walked in to Toys R Us and immediately did an about face right out the door and Kohl's was a nightmare...sounds like fun, huh?!

It was definitely a weekend to be mindful of all the things we have to be thankful for-our home, our family, our friends, our church, our God, the food on the table, the warmth of those we love and to remember those in prayer that have so much less and may be struggling right now.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Not only do you do multiple sets of multiples but you also take on Black Friday? You ARE Superwoman!!!!

The Wades said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I thought her hair was adorable! Love Luke's, "Mom, take a picture of me." I know that oh so well.

I'm blessed having you guys for friends. :) Loveya

Robin said...

Looks like you have a lot to be thankful for!

Laurel's hair is adorable!

Anonymous said...

As "Amazing Times Three" says, you are truly supermom!! I see you all the time and can't figure out where you get your energy, patience, good looks and wonderful husband to boot!!