With the rising cost of utilities Bill contemplated the possibility of having a solar system put in...and no, I'm not talking a miniature version of our galaxy...I'm talking those big panels on the roof that collect the suns heat and transfer it to water (wow, see I can be impressive every now and then). So, after having a company come out and promise to give us an estimate and then have them blow it by never giving said estimate, Bill put his brain in action and his pencil as well. And this is the result so far...
A lot of copper piping that will take the sun generated hot water from the roof into this big ginormous tank which will then pump it out to our radiant floor tubing (we never put a boiler in when we built the house...it was a 'when we have money' item) and whalaa, our floors will be warm, so will our house and hopefully for next to no cost.
And this picture, I know it looks like it's the wrong direction, but you'll just have to trust me, it's the right way. Bill designed the system to also do our hot water for the house (different water source than the radiant floor holding tank) so he just did whatever it was he needed to do with all the 'stuff'-basically a lot of sweating pipes and fittings and that kinda thing. Basically this flex tubing will be coiled up inside the large holding tank, surrounded by the HOT water that is feeding the radiant floor, therefore warming the house water inside that tube and it will go back out to the hot water heater...or so I'm told something like that in far fewer words. I'm beginning to feel like an apprentice plumber just typing this, although I'm sure you are thinking otherwise!
And this picture, it scares me. Look how happy he is...over pipes, mounting plates and lots of time in the garage...ALONE....without kids......and he even has a good excuse so I can't give him a hard time....bummer.....
And that's what's been going on in the 15 minutes of spare time we have each day. If it's not one thing it's another! It's probably way more than you ever wanted to know about plumbing and solar heat and how I describe things I really don't understand as well as he does! I'll leave you with this endearing little quicky video I took of the kids (except gregory, he was practicing piano) doing ring around the rosie....so cute and funny! If you're not smiling after it, there's something WRONG with you!
4 comments:
Bill is something else!! I would love to have his brain for just a day...or hour... or ten minutes! Geez, what a smarty pants! I'm seriously impressed!
Cute kiddos. :)
Ok the pipe stuff I couldn't follow, but the video made us all laugh!
Uncle Mike was VERY impressed with the solar heating project. After reading your blog he said "Hmmm, I think I'd better get off my derriere and get some projects done around here. He's putting me to shame."
Loved, loved the video! What a bunch of cuties.
Great video! I love the dog getting involved in the action!
I have to say that I am jealous that Bill is so handy! I have the opposite type of hubby, he hangs up the new mini blinds and they crash on my head the first time I open them! (shhh, don't tell him I said that!)
Post a Comment