Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Carnival Day

Halloween costume trial run #1, the kids school carnival. We raced home from the boys soccer game and everyone went into hurry up mode. We got home at 3:30, the carnival started at 4pm and I think we made it by 4:15..pretty good considering we helped dress a cow girl, a dragon, Batman and 2 vampires.....see for yourself!
She got a few comments that she must be Jessie from Toy Story 2. She loved the costume!
This was their impression of 'scary' vampires.....they're trying, really!

We all had a good time at the event and this was the first year everyone was mobile and not strapped into strollers. Yes, we finally decided it was time to let the nine year olds out of the stroller...just kidding! It was pretty crowded, but Luke and Laurel hung in there and stuck close by. G and J got to play a few games with friends and then returned to play more with us. Eric had fun with the eyeball toss and lollipop pull. I got involved with the planning aspects of the carnival this year and was in charge of ordering prizes. We decided to spend a little bit more and have different prizes at each game. Bill also suggested a cupcake walk for younger kids and it ALL worked out wonderfully! The prizes were a hit (whew!), as was the cupcake walk and all the other great games. It amazes me how much the PTA does for any given school and until I became involved I had NO CLUE..it's like another job I tell ya'! The totals just came in and the school made $2500 more than last year! Yay!

Laurel playing the pumpkin squirt out game:
Waiting for the balloon dart game-Laurel and Gregory

And there is Miss Catalina again. She dressed up as a goth fairy.....ok.....I would've hated to have to brush out that hair-ouch!
So we'll repeat it all on Friday. The kids aren't wearing their costumes to school, although G and J have been working on a presidential project where all the 4th graders were assigned a president. They had to gather info about their president and then make a poster telling all about what they learned. They also have to dress up like their president on Friday. Not quite sure how to do it, but Jacob was assigned Lyndon B Johnson and Gregory got James Buchanan. Aside from a sports jacket, tie and some gray/white hair, I'm kind of at a loss what else to add to the costume. Guess we'll see how inspired we are come Friday morning. Luckily the weather is supposed to be really nice with a high near 74 degrees. Luke might even be too warm in his costume....
Leave me a comment..I'd love to know what your family is dressing up as for Halloween!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Zachary was Indiana Jones at a party last night. Jon and Ben will be tissue boxes. Yes, tissue boxes - pictures on the blog Saturday.

Your gang looked adorable - well except for G & J.

The Wades said...

Laurel's costume kills me!!!! I love it so much!!!!

They all look great.

I noticed last night, as be began trick or treating, that it was our first time in over nine years not to have a stroller with us. I guess they all are really growing up. :( :)

Anonymous said...

What fun pictures! Laurel is such an adorable little cowgirl! The girls were fairies this year ~ Claire wore purple and Caroline wore pink, of course. And it was surprisingly warm enough to go with just long sleeve shirts and tights under their dresses and gloves. I'll send pictures soon.