Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 39: 147th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg

Day 39
Sunday July 3rd

On our drive from New York City to Washington DC, we stopped for the day to witness the reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg.  This year was the 147th anniversary of the historical event.  Now, we had enjoyed some historical reenactments in Colonial Williamsburg, but the Battle of Gettysburg was far bigger with many more actors participating.  And another big difference?  It was the hottest weather I think I have EVER been in.  Combined with humidity, it was awful.

Think about these actors, dressing up in period pieces,made out of wool and other materials true to that period in history.  Hot, hot, hot!  Then take into consideration they are standing around in sweltering tents offering lectures and interactive chats while in character-and riding horses and marching off to battle..in wool, in the heat.

It was while we were waiting, with thousands of other people, to see the battle re-enactment that I just about passed out.  The air was sweltering, sticky and suffocating.  Couple that with being surrounded by lots of people and I felt terrible.
I backed out of the crowd without saying much so Bill followed me, figured out what the problem was and started dumping water on me!  So I got to finish the day out wet, but not passed out!

The re-enactment included cavalry
 infantry
guns and cannons

And pictures with some of the 'folks' standing around-
I am glad we went to the event, although I do have to say that I don't think I need to see another war re-enactment for a VERY long time.  Very........long...time.

I think the kids were in the car about 5 minutes before they fell fast asleep-


The few days surrounding this day were by far some of our longest, most tiring days.  Between the hot weather, the long drive from our condo in DC, the traffic and the late nights spent in DC, we finished our trip up by pushing ourselves to the limit!  Only 20 days left!

No comments: