Wednesday, September 7, 2011

New Puppy, No Time and a fun interview

The newest addition to our family arrived Monday evening.....an 8 week old little yellow lab puppy by the name of Ruby!  The kids are thrilled, I'm getting used to the long lost feeling of parenting a challenging toddler, and Parker?  Well, Parker is warming up to her presence.....slowly, but surely!



SO what little time I had last week is now being sucked up by watching every move she makes to be sure he isn't going to pee on the floor.  I really feel like I can't get anything done at all!  And so, I'm taking the easy way out of the blog post today-this is an interview I just completed for our local twins club newsletter.  It presented a fun opportunity to put into words some things I typically fail to take the time to do so.

Introduce yourself and your family to us (names, ages, etc).
Me, Cari, my husband and high school sweetheart Bill, our fraternal twin boys Gregory and Jacob (12), singleton son Eric (9) and fraternal boy/girl twins Luke and Laurel (6), and our two yellow lab dogs Parker (4) and Ruby (2 months)


How long have you been a member? What do you find are the benefits of AMOTC membership as a mom of older multiples?
I joined the club when I was pregnant with my first set of twins and met some really wonderful people, several of who I still count as friends today, 12+ years later! Holding leadership positions on the AMOTC board has helped me over the years in other jobs and positions I have enjoyed, especially my involvement with PTA.

Where are you from? How long have you lived in Albuquerque?
I’m pretty much from here…born in California and moved here when I was almost 4 years old. I think that nearly qualifies me as a native!!

Do/did you work outside the home?
I have taught preschool in the past. This year I am serving as PTA president, yearbook chairperson, puppy potty trainer, laundry magician, Albuquerque Junior Orchestra taxi driver, soccer cheer parent, Boy Scout popcorn buyer and Cub Scout pinewood derby photographer. That might almost cover it…….maybe!

What are some of your children’s recent milestones?
One of my older twins has entered into the highly expensive ‘dental phase’….where you pay lots of money but don’t see return on investment until years have gone by! All my kids are now in school, so that has been a really nice change; I’m not going to lie!

What do you love about having multiples?
Still being amazed at how completely different they are from one another, despite knowing that there is no reason they should be any more alike than any other siblings.

What is the most challenging part of raising multiples?
How to split our time, attention and parenting skills evenly and fairly and to remind ourselves that they each need different things from us as parents. With 2 sets of multiples and a singleton, we often times feel like our kids don’t get the best of us when they most deserve it. Parenting any child is filled with hard work and effort…however; the level of emotional exhaustion is something we never thought much about experiencing.

Did your multiples share a classroom? How did that work out?
Our older twins shared Kindergarten and part of 4th grade (would have been the whole year but the teacher/teaching style was a big issue for one of them) and in separate classes the other years. Separate classes were good for them as they learned at different speeds and one was ‘the informant’ more so than the other. Our younger twins are in the same class…..we will see how they do, the hope being B/G twins may make it easier, who knows, we’ll see!

What advice can you give to an expectant mother of multiples, MOM of preschoolers, preteens?
 I would just tell new moms that despite the overwhelming task required to care for infant twins, relish and savor the time during the first 2 years. It may seem like the hardest thing you have ever done, but wait until you are on a family vacation with your family and your 8,9,10, 11, 12 year old multiples cannot get along if their LIFE depended on it. I strongly feel that parenting older multiples is harder than the first 2 years. I’d take those first 2 years all over in a heartbeat!

What do you do for yourself to recharge your batteries?
 I blog so that when my memory has absolutely failed me (like 3 years from now) our kids will have a published account of what went on in their lives over the course of a year’s time. I have been blogging since 2008. I put lots of pictures in the posts to help tell the stories too…..even when they include a crying child, and then have the posts published into a hard bound book. . Zhu-Zhu pet in the hair? Stitches in the thumb? Black eye from bonking heads? Experiencing first hand the H1-N1 flu? Documented! I like to read other people’s blogs too, although I don’t’ get as much time to do so these days!

How do you carve out quality time with your kids and/or do you have a favorite family tradition?
Banana splits on New Year’s Eve, movie and pizza night when schedule’s allow, enjoying time at Conchas lake, meal of their choice on their birthdays, decorating their rooms while they sleep the night before their birthdays, and enjoying any family event that the kids get along while doing!!

Do you have a favorite local restaurant?
 We don’t go out all that often. It costs quite a bit to take a family of 7 out to eat!

What is your favorite T.V. show or movies?
Survivor, Amazing Race, SYTYCD, Biggest Loser, anything my kids will sit down and watch and give me 5 minutes of peace (they don’t watch all that much, but I do love PBS after school…and gulp, even Sponge Bob is tolerable)

Best part about being a mom?
Knowing, or hoping I should say, that years down the road, the hard work and effort we have put into raising our kids will have left them with many fun, happy memories and that while there are days currently I want to throw the towel in, one day I’ll remember the good times, the proud moments, the ‘I feel so blessed to have 5 kids’ moments, and forget all the noise in between those moments.

No comments: