Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet all the way around

As I sat holding my new little nephew, it suddenly dawned on me that this was a privilege I really didn't get much of with my own babies.  To just sit and snuggle and not worry about laundry or dishes or older kids or what was for dinner or what I wasn't getting done while I took the time to snuggle...that was a precious gift all its own.  Let's face it, when twins are the first arrivals in a family, the ability to just 'be' with a new baby doesn't quite pan out like it does for singleton arrivals.  Same thing applies for all subsequent children......

I loved every minute that I was able to spend with Ryan and my sister in law, Mary (and my 8 year old twin nephews and bro-in law too).  In fact, I got quite teary eyed leaving.  In just 3 short days, I learned to love a new little person with all the emotions that go into loving a newborn-and I think my sister in law is great too.  Gosh darn it, the waterworks are starting again while I type...why?  Well, I have to say that in all honesty, besides my own sweet babies, Ryan is just about the cutest baby I have ever seen. Some photographic proof (I didn't take my good camera with me, I left it at home for Bill to use, so I had to make do with my not so favorite camera...boo!).  Ryan was born 7 weeks early, so even though he is approaching 3 months old, he still acts like a newborn...squeaky, scrunchy, cuddly, soft...simply precious.




And as if the trip couldn't get any sweeter, I was REALLY treated to an old childhood favorite of mine.  Years ago, my favorite local donut shop went out of business.  They made one of my ultimate all time favorite donuts, one that reminds me of family time with my mom and dad when I was little.  Well, whaddya know...they are still in business in Omaha!  Yes, 2 doors down from a Krispy Kreme if you can believe that!

So, I ordered my favorite donut like it was going out of style, a cake donut with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles.....10 of them in fact.  I brought them home on the airplane, shared a few with the family and then set out to devour the rest ALL. BY. MYSELF.

Mission completed.  Thank you Winchell's.  I'll see you again in July.

No comments: