The official announcement won't come until results are public knowledge tomorrow, but a little birdy told us that both Gregory and Jacob made it into AJO!! What is AJO you say? It stands for Albuquerque Junior Orchestra and it is one musical group in a family of 4 musical groups. Kids, musicians, audition in front of judges with their own choice of a solo, they play a scale of their choice and then play a small sight reading piece. After all the auditions are complete, the judges determine who should be placed in groups and which group that is. AJO welcomes students in 6th-8th grades. The next level up is AJS (symphony) and that group includes students in grades 7-9. After that, it's on to the bigger, more experienced groups, AYO (youth) and AYS.
We are so proud of them both. This was their first ever experience with the whole audition and the expectations that come with it. It can be down right nerve wracking to sit in a room of kids warming up on their instruments and playing their audition pieces. Talk about pressure and self doubt creeping in! I can't help but grin from ear to ear because as a 6th grader, I made it into AJO and then continued on to AJS and AYO. The experience of playing with other musicians their age is such an honor, one not all kids get to experience. They will rehearse every Saturday for 3 hours and then perform 2 times between September and April. SO, time to pile on some more responsibility!
I LOVE watching my boys play their instruments with confidence and smiles. Makes me get a little teary!
Play hard, stay humble and share your experience boys. Keep practicing and reaching for the next level. You are AMAZING!!
2 comments:
Congratulations, boys!! Wish I could have been there to hear your audition. Though I'm really not surprised to hear you made it in, as I was very impressed by how accomplished you were last Thanksgiving. With your musical heritage I'm sure you'll go faaaaar.
That's awesome! So are bringing the Tuba and trumpet on vacation so they can practice over the summer?!
Post a Comment