Sunday, January 16, 2011

If he would have listened to his mom, this never would have happened!

This past Friday the kids raced home from the bus stop...literally.....they took turns as Bill ferried them up the road on the motorcycle.  You know the one.  The one where Bill looks like he belongs under a big top while riding it, as Autumn pointed out?  But the kids think it's down right hilarious, so we just go with it.  Eric was very excited to show Thomas and Lauren the motorcycle and in the midst of it all, Thomas forgot his backpack at the bus stop.  A past neighbor of ours saw it as she drove by and called another neighbor of ours and told her it was up there.  Wow, complicated.

Anyhow, Eric, who was all geared up in his motorcycle duds (pants, chest plate, boots, helmet), rode up the road to get it.  I called Autumn  and they swung by to pick it up.  Well, while I was standing there, happily engrossed in a conversation with her, I saw Luke out of the corner of my eye on his bicycle with a sucker in his mouth.

Me: 'Excuse me mister, get that sucker out of your mouth.  You know you shouldn't ride your bike with stuff in your mouth'

Luke: 'kay mom'

Me, well, I went back to my conversation knowing sweet Luke was using his best listening skills and that he took the sucker back inside.  Hah, yeah right.  About 5 minutes after Autumn left, which was about 4 minutes after I told him to remove said sucker from his mouth, one of the kids comes running up to the door....'Luke fell off his bike and he got hurt'.  Well, Bill was outside so I figured he was taking care of it but I stepped outside to hear Luke shrieking.  Not only had he NOT removed said sucker from his mouth, he also rode his bike farther down the road then he is allowed to.  And he biffed. 
Not knowing the damage, my camera skills were pretty sloppy.  After cleaning him up, making sure no teeth were missing (he bit the inside of his cheek pretty good and grazed the outside of his cheek too), having him change his clothes and hugging him, he got a stern lecture about what NOT to do while riding his bike.  I think he learned a valuable and bloggable lesson!  It also felt like one of those moments where saying 'see, I told ya' would have worked.  But not very appropriately, so I kept it to myself!

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Luke! I feel like an accomplice (how do you spell that?) or something. Is he okay now? If we had a nickle for all the times we've wanted to say "I told you so" and didn't, huh? That's a nice perk of blogging...you can still say it if not directly to the kid. :)

Anne said...

The Mommy in me wants to be upset at him too, but look at that FACE! Bless his heart.

At least now you can say: "remember what happened with the suck-er?!?" any time he challenges your authority! ;0)