Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Giving thanks...school cafeteria style.

Over time, I've learned my lesson.  My kids have learned the same lesson.  The hard way.

You don't buy the school made Thanksgiving lunch.  It's not so great.  Yes, they try to make it great but, well, it's not.  Unless of course you are happy with your slice of turkey resembling the yin yang symbol.  You know, the white meat artistically mashed up against the dark meat while being held together by some unrecognizable, yet edible, goo.  Or your stuffing scooped to look like a round serving of ice cream. The pumpkin cake is pretty much the most popular piece on the tray, and that's only because it's covered in whip cream.  You want to talk about wasting food?  There's a whole lot of it that goes on during Thanksgiving lunch.

However, just because the food itself is blecko, doesn't mean I boycott the whole idea all together.  Heck no!  We pack up lunches the kids will eat, I pack up my camera and then show up to enjoy the sentiment of the day.  Being thankful for a good school, great teachers, and lots of cute kids!!  Eric's class got through the cafeteria line in record time and enjoyed lunch in the classroom-
45 minutes later, Luke and Laurel made it to the cafeteria.  They walk quite a ways from their class to the cafeteria, so we enjoyed the company and the noise! Notice the chocolate in Luke's teeth? Yep, way better than pumpkin cake!
My friend Autumn was knee deep in sick children that day, so I promised her I'd stand in as mom for Lauren!  Giving her a big ol' mom hug!
It's funny how this lunch is such a staple of elementary school days. It's a day to bank on, to do your best and show up, even if the food is not so great.  With the older boys in middle school now, it's very easy to come to that realization.  Middle schoolers don't get Thanksgiving lunch with parents! Lucky for me I have at least another 5 to go with the younger kiddos.  For that, I am thankful!

No comments: