Yesterday we had an o' dark 30 morning. The balloon fiesta beckoned to us to make that yearly early morning commitment. As we all got dressed Jacob says 'mom, I just saw lightening'. I assured him it must have been something else, surely it wasn't lightening. Our weatherman said nothing about storms in the morning! Sure enough, as we drove on out we all saw it. Lightening. We were lucky that it was moving north, away from the balloon park.
Leaving for the fiesta always presents the whole 'catch 22' scenario. Leave early enough to stay out of terribly horrendous traffic lines but end up being directed to the farthest parking lot away, or leaving a bit later, dealing with traffic, but end up parking conveniently closer to the field. We chose to avoid the traffic since it's always a possibility that we can sit in traffic long enough to completely miss the mass ascension. Piggy back rides were in order-
Besides making it to the field in record time-we left the house at 5:20am and got on the field by 6am-there were a couple other firsts (or firsts that haven't occurred in MANY years which technically excludes them from holding the 'first' title....but I am perfectly clear on what I mean.....are you?). One, we weren't wearing our winter jackets! It has been unseasonably warm this October and that translated to a fiesta experience devoid of frozen fingers and ear lobes. We were able to double layer with hoodies and fleece. It was a good thing we weren't hauling the winter gear because the other 'first' was we came to the fiesta without a stroller. 11 years it has been since we've walked the fiesta grounds without some child firmly belted into a wheeled transportation device. It was strange to say the least!
We made our way to food first thing. Bill's place of work had a sponsor tent offering free breakfast. While it was free and for that we were thankful, I'll just say that the food was pretty gross. Really. So was the hot cocoa. But hey, the free kids give aways were a success!Then we started the pilgrimage to find all the kids favorite balloons, along with the back and forth decision of whether we choose one particular balloon to stand by and watch inflate or just keep wandering. Of course it was a split decision! Darth Vader got the longest span of our attention-
Watching this one inflate is amazing-all the ground crew personnel are dressed up as Star Wars characters!! The crowds flock to the balloon and cheer wildly once the it is up and waiting to launch. Pretty cool stuff
We then trekked back and forth, this way and that as the kids hunted for more balloon trading cards that most balloons hand out. Made time for a little horsing around too-
some of our other favorites of the morning-Mr. Square Pants himself
and doesn't this look like Marty from 'Madagascar'?
Well, isn't that dandy. Apparently I just ran out of photo storage space here on blogger. I forked out the $5 for more space but it may take another day to show up. I guess this is a 'to be continued' post!
1 comment:
That can't be possible! I had a blogger account longer and most definitely uploaded more pics and never ran out. Something's crazy.
What a fun morning. I'm jealous. We haven't been able to go for the last few years because of the pumpkin stand. My poor kiddos.
Post a Comment