From the moment they walked inside their new middle school, they knew it was going to be different! A different feel, different surroundings, lots of friendly, smiling faces, plenty of kids carrying their instruments towards the band room, a super cool food line in the cafeteria, lockers they can access multiple times a day, familiar faces in classes, and perhaps the BEST part of the day, their band class!
When we picked them up we asked, 'well, so how was it?!' and the answer was 'the band is so big and SO loud.....with big ol' grins on their faces! Aaahhhhh, the true meaning of being in band. To be surrounded by kids excited to learn how to play their instruments, the noise of air through horns, mallets clunking on bells, drumsticks hitting snare drums, cases clunking and kids becoming friends-so makes our hearts happy!! After this learning experience and the decision to move the boys, I have to say I have never been more excited for them to grow up! Don't get me wrong, we're certainly not in any hurry for them to do so, but just knowing the wonderful opportunities that await them if only they reach out and try makes it all WAY more exciting than I thought it would be!
Last night, the band director held an information night, complete with performances form the 3 bands and the choirs too (he directs all 5 groups). The participation was amazing and the gymnasium was jam packed with parents and family eager to see their students perform. The beginning band played Hot Cross Buns and it was so, well, beginning band...loud, squawky, off key, and smile invoking. How can you not smile when you see and hear kids trying their hardest to make music come out of an instrument they may have only been playing for 3 or 4 days?!
1 comment:
I think I'm really liking their longer hair, and I don't like long hair on boys. So darn cute.
I want to hear all about this new school.
Post a Comment