Monday, August 23, 2010

What I did at Family Scout camp this weekend....

Lots of new experiences were had by all this weekend.  Namely Luke, Laurel and myself. Bill and the boys have been around the block a few times in terms of tent camping with a bunch of other boys.  A journey through the event in photos! 

This weekend at scout camp I got to play historian while watching Bill teach the kids how to put up a tent.  Actually, not sure 'teach' is the word, but he did sucker them into bringing him parts when needed!
I then got to help put out all the sleeping bags and 'organize' their room.  Basically told them where to put all their stuffed animals that they hauled out of the van. 
Originally they were going to sleep in the van but we found a secluded enough spot that we decided to give it a go of letting them sleep in the tent with us.  It was bound to either go very well or NOT very well!

Long about that time everyone started getting a bit ancy because stomachs were saying 'feed me'.  Jacob was 'supervisor' for the meal, a job he needed to hold, working towards one of his merit badges.  Evidently supervising meant getting his hands dirty...in more ways than one!
After eating a fine feast of hot dogs, chips and fruit, we encountered the hardest part of the camp experience for L and L I think.  Heat and boredom......never a good combination. Luckily there was something to go hike and look for, a small stream that wasn't too far away.  The older boys headed off on their own hike so Bill and I walked to the small stream with the other 3.
And by small, I do mean small!
Long about this time, Luke warmed up to the idea of getting his hat wet and just as Bill was about to offer 'take your shoes and socks off and put your feet in', Luke slipped and got shoes, socks and the bottom of his shorts wet.  Thankfully he didn't care.......
After a few relaxing minutes of play, it was time to head back to camp in order to witness the patrol competitions.  Relay #1........tie a rope around a very large tree chunk and run it as fast as the group could up hill to the next station
I got to do some personal cheering when Bill and some of the other adults stepped in to help one of the patrols whose rope had snapped while pulling the log.  Might I mention again that it was HOT!  Sure, we were up in the mountains but it was still nearly 90 degrees-
While waiting for the makeshift tent building round of competition to start, Laurel found a very tiny friend!
A tiny friend that she really had a hard time letting go of.  I was so afraid she was going to squish it by loving on it so much.  Lucky for the lizard I bribed her to LET IT GO and to WALK AWAY!  It was pretty cute I must say-
Since growing up with older siblings around, Luke and Laurel have always gravitated towards older kids.  This day was no different.  They found Kimberly, sister of Hayden who is in the boys' patrol (and son of the pack master) and had the best time with her!  She is a junior in high school and was just as sweet as could be with them.  Laurel can get downright annoying yet Kimberly handled her so well!  She even let her try on her cool 'big girl' sunglasses-and braided her hair-bonus!
Better yet, she made room on her lap for both 5 year olds!  A new best buddy for L and L-
The main reason for the family camp out was to hold a Court of Honor, where they boys receive their advancement ranks.  Since joining the pack in February, the boys have worked diligently (at times) at moving through the work needed to advance their rank.  They had already earned Scouter and on this evening they earned first their Tenderfoot rank and minutes later were awarded their Second Class rank.
Bill and I are really proud as they work their way closer to Eagle.  Although it will take another couple years to get there, they are certainly showing their commitment to the process and as their parents, Bill and I are so pleased and proud!
The big end to the night?  A camp fire of course!  Despite it still feeling about 80 degrees, the campfire was quite enjoyable.  Before it started, G, J and Hayden decided they wanted to try out L and L's toddler chairs.  I had to laugh at this one because Hayden looks abnormally large sitting between the boys.  Angle had a lot to do with it, but still, those big rear ends shoved into such tiny seats?  Hilarious!
Each patrol worked up some silly skits and songs.  They had L and L rolling with laughter!
'Hi, my name is Joe, and I work inside a Do-Jo.  I got a sensai, 5 students and a family.  One day my sensai said Hey Joe, are you busy, I said no.  Karate Chop with your right arm (pretty much like the Father Abraham action song).  By the time they were done with it we were all standing and karate chopping with our arms, legs, tongue and head! 
The other favorite was a crazy moose song.......
I think I got L and L to bed by about 9 (miracle) and the rest of us were toast by 10.  Amazingly, thankfully, we all slept decently and didn;t wake up until 6:30am.  Well, except for waking to hear shotgun blasts in the very far distance-always nice to wake with a startle in the middle of NO WHERE!
Aside from heat and and learning how to eat camp out style food, it was enjoyable and *gulp*, something I'd consider doing again!  But I'd like to wait a bit first.......

3 comments:

Heather said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! Way to go Mom.

Heather said...

That picture of Laurel and her friend is so cute. What a pretty girl.

Sounds like a great time!

The Wades said...

LOVE the last picture. Beautiful.

What an adventure. You Barrys are full of them. So impressive.

Just great, I got the Joe song in my head. Instead though, I've switched it to the button factory version.