It's a day that has been in the making for 5 years. A day that brought about all kinds of emotions and hopes, questions and wonderment, sadness and joy. Like I said, it's one BIG day for us. Luke and Laurel have been ready for many days and could not wait for the day to finally get here! They were up with the sun-and their older brothers-and dressed by 7:05am.
After asking for the past 3 days to take a picture with his backpack, Luke very willingly slung it over his shoulder with pride and was all smiles! I guess the backpack just make it that much cooler to go to school!
I found a small back pack for Laurel and it seems just the right size for her. She too was very happy about being able to finally use it.
Since everyone was up and ready we did our second round of 'first day of school' photos. The photos of just G, J, and E are from their actual first day on Wednesday. Bill was at work today, so I just took the kids......in several different line ups!
Shoes are a very big deal this year, so the shoes got their own pictures too!
The time to leave couldn't come soon enough for them and once Bill got home, we loaded them up and headed to school! First customer of the day, Ms. Lynette, who my kids just love (and Laurel so appreciates...she bought her the shoes!).
Then it was time to wait for the bell to ring so we could head inside to go on a treasure hunt. The teacher had a list of fun things each child had to find....their name tag, cubby, the bathroom, the art cart, the reading center, the flag.......in the midst of it all, Laurel whispers to me 'when are we going to start school, this is boring'. Hmmm, look out Ms. Shelley!
The last thing on the list started up my tears-'find whoever brought you to school today and give them a kiss and a hug then come join me on the carpet'. Oh, SOOO not ready for that one. I had to turn around and bury my face in Bill's shirt so they wouldn't see me! Had to tell myself to pull it together! After sweet hugs and kisses, they happily trotted off and sat down amongst new friends.
Then we had to leave. In the hallway Bill snapped a picture of my friends and I, all a bit teary eyed. I am so glad our kids are in the same class! I am a firm believer that friends make all the difference.
SO now, the day is mine. I've got a list of places to get to. The last of which is: meet the kids at the bus stop! Yes, they all wanted to ride the bus home together...there are now 7 kids at our stop. Love it! I sure do miss them already....
2 comments:
I remember your first day of Kindergarten too. They didn't do the wonderful things like a treasure hunt, although that might have helped break the ice. I didn't know any moms (or kids) that were in school with you.
We lived across the street from Eubank Elementary and it didn't seem that far from our front yard. But the walk down the street to the crossing guard, waiting to cross, and then up the short hill into the west end of the school felt like five miles to me. The teacher was at the door but that is as far as I got. She quickly ushered each new student into the room, and ushered the parent(s) out that west end door again. You weren't too thrilled with me leaving either. There were tears on both our faces. You were my one and only daughter leaving our safe home into the safe 'unknown' of school. Twelve long years ahead of both of us. Oh, if we had only known and anticipated all the marvelous and wonderful things that came to you - including a wonderful man.
I would watch the school from our kitchen which faced the school and imagine you walking in the halls, going to lunch, learning your ABC's. And when you got older, I'd watch the playgrounds for just a glimpse of you. What a wonderful daughter and student you were (are)!!!!!
Your mama's comment just made me cry. Absolutely beautiful. :)
Great recap of their first day. Loved all the pics. Girl, you have me beat in documentation and that's saying something!!
Post a Comment