Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eclipsed

We were 2 of the crazy ones.  Well, we weren't SO crazy that we stayed up til' 3 am opening night...er day?...but I know some who did!  We did stand in line for close to an hour though.  We bought tickets a day early too.

Bill and I saw Twilight: Eclipse last night!  Every show was sold out and as we left the theater at 11:35pm, the line outside to see the midnight showings was insane.  Really people?  There were families standing in line with children that were WAY too young to care that they were going to see a movie about vampires, especially at 11:35 pm.  I understand the eagerness to see the film, after all we did see it opening day, but c'mon, really?  I saw kids as young 5 standing in line with their parents and they were BOYS.  Those kids were lucky if they got to bed by 3am.  I have never understood parents that take their kids to movies that are obviously inappropriate for their age AND their bedtime!

And the trailers they put before the movie?  Even more inappropriate.  There was a group of moms and daughters sitting in front of us and my guess is the youngest girl was 8?  Yeah, what a way to start the movie experience with a movie trailer featuring a lesbian family and their kids who search out the 'donor' that is their biological father.  Sheesh.  Even I didn't need to see that one.

Then there's the movie itself.  Really good movie but Bill and I always feel like watching it the first time is anticlimactic after reading the book!  The book is so full of detail and vibrancy that no matter how great the actors, directors, CGI folks and everything else put together are, there's just no way to bring it all to the screen.  And again, the young kids in attendance with their parents?  They got a schooling about virginity and the conversation between Edward and Bella about waiting until they get married to 'be' together.  I love that Stephanie Meyer kept that piece of moral integrity in tact and yet I'm not ready to let my 8 year old watch it! Or 11 year olds!

Parents of children in movie theaters way past their bedtime, please...please, think twice!!  No movie is worth dragging your child out in the middle of the night.  Wait for it.........not even Twilight!!  Stick to the PG movies also.  But for all the movie IS appropriate for?  Go, hurry, see it!  It is a really great movie!  Plenty of Jacob walking around with no shirt and Edward's amazing, brooding, beautiful amber eyes......

1 comment:

The Wades said...

I also get fired up when I see young ones at inappropriate movies. I'm mean really!

Glad you enjoyed. I still have only read the first one. Lame, huh?