My mom has been home from the hospital 4 days, this being her 5th. Slow going is the word-as it should be I suppose! She slept last night and didn't wake to take a pain pill...now whether she woke up and should have taken one is another story. She is very strong willed when it comes to taking pain meds. Unfortunately with numerous back surgeries in her past and daily reminders of that type of pain, she has all too much experience with pain management. And that makes her stubborn sometimes! She is very tired and as things 'settle' back to where they belong inside her body, it has caused a few other side effects. Fatigue as her body heals is going to be her biggest challenge. I so appreciate the care we have all been shown by friends-I even had one of my preschool mom's make a HUGE meal for us. And by huge I mean a ginormous pan of homemade baked ziti, bread, salad and cookies. I just couldn't believe it. We are so thankful! And so is my mom, because my dad CANNOT cook!
We spent a quiet Mother's Day at home-so thankful that it wasn't in a hospital room!! I have to say that for mom's with children still at home, I think Mother's Day is overrated. There's still all the usual junk to get done and guess who still has to do it?! MOM....AKA ME! Oh well......perhaps one of these years the kids will all be able to get along for the WHOLE day and figure out how to put their dishes in the dishwasher without me reminding them. I will hold out hope......I may be holding for a while......
My mother's day gift from Bill was a new Ipod! I was so surprised! We gave one of the boys the one I had been using and Bill's went to the other one. I knew we'd wait to find one on Craigs list used....I wasn't in any hurry, I tend to listen to the same CD over and over for weeks at a time anyways! But no, he went and bought me a new one, that sneaky guy! Several nights before when he had been looking for a used one he made a comment about the new Ipod having a camera in it and I said 'hmm, that's kinda weird'. He had already ordered it....I just never know what he has up his sleeve! I now know why there is a camera in the Ipod. Child entertainment. That's it, pure and simple! All I have to do is whip it out and turn the camera on them and they think it's hilarious.
I'll have to update this post with some pictures from mothers day, but Bill has the camera today. He and my dad are off to the lake to deliver the jet skis to the rental shed and get the place ready for lake season, as it is only a few weeks away!! The lake is up over 5 feet from the lowest point it was at last year....we cannot wait! It'll be interesting to see if we can tell a difference in the pictures he's supposed to take.
Bill is starting a new work schedule too, so we'll have to get used to him being at work every Saturday. He is working a compressed work week, so one week he'll work 4 days on, 12 hours per day, and the next week he'll work the same 12 hours per day but for 3 days. The days off will be a welcome addition since we feel like we never have time to get anything done around here.....and while it is summer, the days he works make no difference since the kids are out of school. We'll have to figure it out once more when school starts, if he is still in the same department. I'm not so sure about holding dinner until 6:30 the nights he works since we are used to eating at 5pm. But, I can't imagine only having him home for family dinner on the days he is off...so some adjustments are in the works, which seems to be a nearly weekly thing with his job. Entirely irritating is putting it mildly. Add in being on call and having to get up from the dinner table to fix some tool problem....even more so. I have become resigned to the fact that the nights he is on call means they are basically nights he works the whole evening. 3 nights in a row. Stinks. To end on a positive note, the weeks he works just 3 days are going to be fan-spankin-tastic!!
Now I need to get about 10 loads of laundry done.....that whole chore kind of escaped my attention this past week. When my 5 year old has to borrow some of his brother's underwear, it becomes quite clear that I need to hurry up!
No comments:
Post a Comment