It's official.......kids are following in their parents footsteps. They are getting ready to lay the groundwork of knowing what it is to be a 'band geek'. Yes, those two words together are totally stereotypical, and completely untrue...for some anyway. Just because you play in the band does NOT make you a geek. It actually means you are potentially a pretty high functioning person who sees the benefits of reading and playing music. It's a benefit that both Bill and I are lucky to share. After all......being band geeks is what got us together.....and led us to produce more band geeks!
Gregory's trumpet finally...FINALLY....arrived last weekend. He was SO excited about it! He whipped it out of the case, put the mouthpiece on and then had it taken away from him by dad! 
Bill spent all of high school playing percussion, but he started out with the trumpet in the 4th grade. Yes, the 4th grade. That was back in the day when public schools placed value in children starting band in elementary school. By the time I was the boys' age, the clarinet had been in my hands for 2 years. I was confident and competent enough with it to skip beginning band in middle school and go right into intermediate. It's pretty sad how much schools have had to cut out offering kids-either through choice or budget demands.


We are now in the process of looking for a couple private teachers who can at least help the boys be familiar and comfortable with their instruments before they enter band in the fall. This is where Face Book and friends from high school band come in very handy! Julie...drum major my sophomore and junior year let me know her sister, who was in band with Bill, gives private lessons! YESSSSS! The boys are already a big step ahead in the learning curve since my mom has taught them piano for the past 2 years. At least the music on the page won't look like Chinese! And so another new adventure begins in our house.
Along with 'have you done your homework?' comes the phrase 'I haven't heard you practice yet'.
2 comments:
I couldn't remember if I had commented before or not, but I just wanted to take this time to say how much I enjoy your blog! Your "real-ness" is so much fun and relate-able!
Nana (Jeanne)
You are two of the coolest band geeks I know! ;)
We're encouraging Brooke to join band in the fall. We'll see how it goes.
Post a Comment