Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thumbs up....with 6 stitches

While I was in the midst of BBQing dinner on Sunday evening, Jacob cut his thumb open.  He was doing his thing, whittling a stick, all according to his Boy Scout rules-but the stick slipped and the hands forgot that only ONE should reach for the stick.  Well, both hands went for it and little left thumb paid for it!  Jacob looked a bit panic stricken when it first happened and then he launched in to 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry'...I felt so bad that was the first thing he said.......then he went into full blown hysteria of 'I don't want to get stitches, I don't want to get stitches'!!   I think he was literally minutes away from hyperventilating.

I hurriedly loaded him into the back seat while my dad drove us.  Bill stayed home to find out which ER/Urgent care to go to.  Luckily, it's not a location we frequent or have the drive memorized!!  We have been so fortunate that this is the very first set of stitches in nearly 11 years of a full swing 'boy' household.  We made it to the urgent care and there was NO ONE else there.....imagine that!!  In and out within 30 minutes and thankfully Jacob pulled himself together before it was all over with.  I love that boy to pieces, but I say prayers for his future wife on a weekly basis.  That child has ZERO pain tolerance.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Seriously.
The stitches need to stay in for 9-10 days, so he'll get them out a day or so before his birthday.  And he'll add another scar to his collection.  While I can say 'kuddos' for this being the first stitches, Jacob does sport a scar from being burned by a firework.  And that time it was us saying 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry'.  Perhaps that should be one of my Flashback Friday Posts.  Laden with guilt........

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yeah, ummm, I needed to see that closeup. Thanks for sharing.