Monday, April 26, 2010

On your mark, get set, JOG!

The Jog A Thon-it's our school's biggest fund raiser of the year and one that the kids look forward to, as they are raising the money with each lap they run.  It's a pretty fun day since teachers and parents get involved and run as well.  The weather for this year's event was beautiful...well, at least for the first part of the day's events. 

I had to be at work doing parent-teacher conferences, but Bill eagerly went to document the tradition and said work would have to wait for a couple hours.  Kind of sad knowing this was G and J's last jog a thon....sniff......sniff!  Bill surprised Eric as he was getting ready to start-
He jogged with pride and a smile.  Go honey go!
Each time around the field, volunteers would mark his paper so at the end the total amount of laps run could be tallied. 
Next up, the big bad 5th graders!! 
Now, take notice of the boys and how they were just jogging-either chugging along by themselves or blowing past fellow students, to trying to blow past fellow students.  Now, take notice of how the girls jog.......the differences between boys and girls are so inherent.  This is how the 'visit the restroom in packs' starts:  Catalena and her girlfriends
They're not just jogging WITH each other, they're holding hands!!!  They didn't jog like this the whole time, but I just thought it was funny how different they are. 

As the year progresses and it winds to a close, the 5th grade traditions start happening with greater frequency.  After the jog a thon, the 5th grade rock wall was set up and ready for them to all give it a go.  I was so bummed to miss it!!!  Jacob and his sidekick Ben are in the front of the line. 

Keep going Jacob, keep going!!!
Bill said he made it a little over half way.  Catalena's turn.......
The weather at his point had turned rotten.  Cold, blowy, and the mountains got a light dusting of snow.  Last year the weather was cruddy the entire morning, so I'm glad the kids ran in the sunshine.  Bill missed Gregory's class on the rock wall, so we'll just have to imagine him in his helmet and gear!

The school raised close to $14,000!!!  Next year we'll get to witness L and L jogging their little hearts out at their first Jog A Thon.  I hope time slows down......

1 comment:

Anne said...

Whoa! I need more info on this fundraiser! Sounds awesome and I LOVE how the kids are a part of it!!