Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A D.A.R.E. graduation

Last week, mixed in with all the birthdays and the festivities that went along with them, Jacob and Gregory particpated in the DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program graduation.  All 5th graders at the school they attend had the privilege of going through the program.  The program was run by a local police officer from our village, one all the kids know and see daily as he helps direct traffic at the start and end of the school day.  It's kind of one of those rights of passage events.  Kids know when they get to 5th grade, they get to do the DARE program. 

The program culminates with the kids writing an essay about what they have learned and how they plan on implementing all the information they learned into their lives as the pressures of drugs and alcohol become more prevalent. They also had to create a poster with a slogan for DARE, as well as take a final exam.
On graduation day, Officer .....made a speech about all that the kids had learned and then went on to explain that some kids were getting some special awards.  The top two DARE students, one girl and one boy, students who had shown excellent character, attention to detail, and highest cumulative scores that came from their tests, posters and essay, were called up in front of all their fellow classmates.  Any guesses on who was top boy?  One of my boys.......Gregory!

  And after those awards were handed out, Officer.....proceeded to call on 2 students from each class that he felt were excellent Role Models of the DARE program.  Students that showed concern for others, paid attention to their work and requirements and were mentors to other students....any guesses on who was named Role Model for his class?  One of my boys.......Jacob!!
 Now, this program isn't the most exciting thing these kids get to participate in and the awards given aren't splashed about in the newspaper and not may parents in the school probably even know about it.  But let me just say my heart was bursting with pride and I do believe my eyes got a little bit misty.  How lucky are we, that BOTH our 5th grade boys are known for their character, their consideration of others, their drive to succeed, and to be kept in high regard while doing so.  As a parent, it is so easy to get caught in the trap of seeing only the imperfect things your child does, the things you wish you could fix or change about them.  And sometimes it takes a simple award or some kind words said about your child to jar you out of it and really think 'Wow, I've got really great kids'.  There are times I wonder how they do it, how they have turned into well rounded kids.  Kids that aren't bullies, aren't socially awkward, kids that are liked by their peers yet are down to earth.  I suppose parenting has something to do with it, but I know I don't feel like I've done my best job...many times....so there must be a gentle hand guiding them and us as their parents.  I PRAY that hand keeps guiding us all in the right direction as the teen years are visible on the horizon.  I may need to bookmark this little post......read it again down the road to jar me back to thinking how great they were are!!!

4 comments:

Robin said...

They are great boys. And you and Bill are doing a great job parenting them.

Susanna Hinkle said...

Definitely something that makes your heart get all squishy. :o)

auntiek said...

Congratulations to J & G! Great job, GREAT boys. I'm very proud of their achievement. If you look in the dictionary under "parenting" (how to do it well) you'll find a picture of you and Bill. I have ALWAYS thought you two were excellent parents…loving, supportive, involved, loving, patient, interested, did I mention loving?. I have nothing but praise for the two of you.

The Wades said...

So super cool! I have chills. You deserve to be very proud.