Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Craigslist

Have you ever tried to sell something on Craiglist? We have. It's pretty much a lesson in futility. An eye opener to the fact that just because we've grown up into adults doesn't mean our 'kid in a toy store' mentality has grown up too. Nope, Craigslist is pretty much an arena for impulse control junkies. Serious cases of 'ooooh, I want that now, but then again, I think I changed my mind and now I want that' abound.


Really people, I do have better things to do than reply to your e-mail saying 'yes, it's still available, call to set up a time to come see it.....' and to the others behind you in line 'you are the second, third, fourth person to respond, I'll let you know if loser #1, oops, I mean, responder #1, falls through'.


Last week we listed an outdoor playhouse. Cute, fun, but the kids never really played in it. They preferred making a mud pit out of the sandbox and sliding head first down the slide. By the time it had been listed 24 hours we had 5 people respond 'oooh, I want it'. And every single one of them flaked out. Time wasters! By the time I replied to #7 I figured we'd never get rid of it. But lucky #7 finally came through yesterday!!! Ironically enough, they had twins too. And they lived clear across town on the Air Force Base...and he misunderstood one of the things I said to him when asking if he wanted directions and ended up near McCall's pumpkin patch. Boy did I feel so bad for him!! Super nice folks that drove for nearly 90 minutes with that detour and handed me the cash 2 minutes after arriving and seeing it!! Then they broke it all down and fit it in the back of a Rodeo.


Luke and Laurel were sad to see it go, you know, because they played in it ALL the time.....NOT!! Why is it kids want their stuff back only when they realize it's out the door for good? Anyhow, if you are going to sell something on Craigslist....be prepared.....it's a lesson learning experience in impulse control, the 'I want it, gotta have it, but then again, I changed my mind'' syndrome, and terrible communication skills, that's for sure!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Am I dying over the fact that its all "Southwestern"-y! How stinkin' cute is that!?!?

We love Craigslist, but hate dealing with people...

The Wades said...

I haven't done Craigslist yet. I'm feeling sorry for the guy driving so far. I hope he got a smokin' deal!! ;)