Last night it happened. We sat in the bleachers. We were surrounded by parents that were probably all thinking the same thing. 'How can we be sitting listening to information about middle schools already?'
Yes, it was 5th grade parent night/open house at the middle school our boys will be attending next year. Next year, when they are once again low man on the totem pole. Next year, where they will learn to balance multiple teachers, classes, interests, friends, distractions, girls......you see, I remember my middle school days all too well. All too clearly. And it makes me sad and a bit nervous to know that my sweet boys, and Catalena, will be entering that world sooner than I care to admit.
However, it did make me feel warm and fuzzy inside as we sat waiting for the 'assembly' to start when kids kept piling in that the boys knew. Catalena sat right next to the boys, who sat right behind us, who sat surrounded by a pack of friends from their current elementary school. Familiarity in an unfamiliar place. Happiness in a place filled with nervous expectations. Comfort in a place that is bound to make them feel totally uncomfortable at some point. And parents that we have come to know and recognize as we have traveled the road together these past 5 years.
I pray middle school will be a positive experience, one they look forward to each morning as they get on the bus a full HOUR earlier than they do today, one that they can look back on and remember fondly. Yeah, I am in complete denial, aren't I?!!! The one thing I can give a total thumbs up to is the dress code the kids are required to follow. Pain in the butt having to buy the clothing items but worth it in the end. I will say the boys are adapting to that reality a whole lot better than Catty....but I guess that's how girls are!! She is thrilled that they offer dress down days and denim Wednesdays!! Sorry sweet girl!
The kids are registering for their classes tomorrow and with only one elective available to choose, they are both (all 3 actually) choosing band. Gregory is interested in trumpet, Jacob in trombone and Catalena in flute or clarinet. Can you imagine if they all practiced at the same time?! I think we better go buy some good ear plugs......
3 comments:
Better you than me! I'm so glad you get to do this first.
Aww, middle school is fun :)
Yeah, I'm a little traumatized about it myself. We don't even know which school we should put Brooke in. Decisions, decisions.
How did we go to child birth classes to starting middle school??!
Post a Comment