Not the kind you're thinking now! The winner I'm referring to in this post would be the Christmas tree we picked. A tradition we started back 'before kids', also known as 'when we HAD time, was to go and cut down our own tree. I can vividly remember going the year I was pregnant with Gregory and Jacob because I had to pack PBJ sandwhiches to ward off the 'all day sickness'. Since then, I think we have averaged cutting down our own tree about 5 times. The other 5 years? We searched far and wide at a local tree lot.
This year we resorted to the tradition of searching the local lot. We wanted to cut one down but once we factored in time and the cost of gas to take the truck, well, the local lot won out. It is so hard when picking a tree...for one, we have 7 different opinions to factor in when choosing. Two, do we pick the $40 tree in the oops corner, or pay $70 and get one in the non-oops section of the lot. Go on everyone....find one you like....that's not priced $100. Boundaries are good.
More often than not we go for the oops corner and end up pretty happy with our find. We all seem to have a soft spot for the lowly Charlie Brown trees. Here's this year's winner-
If you want a good Christmas story that teaches 'living for the sake of others makes us most beautiful in the eyes of God', pick up a copy of 'Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect'. My PSA for the day. Also explains our soft spot for those hole-y trees!
We tried decorating the tree several different times but never got there. We wanted Catalena to be able to help too, so we got around to it on Eric's birthday. Poor tree had to stand around naked since the Saturday after Thanksgiving! First I had to dig around one of our closets to find our oranaments we purchased in Branson and Orlando this year. Imagine my thrill when I found them easily!
Nice new additions for sure! The tree looks so nice this year. For a change, we opted for white lights instead of our usual chasing colored lights. We also moved the tree to a more open spot/taller ceiling height since we got a pretty tall one this year. Change is good.....don't we know it....
With 6 little tree trimmers and one tall tree trimmer, the decorating went quickly (my job is the ornament unwrapper/hanger putter onner/hander outer.....so technical I tell ya). We got thru 3 boxes of ornaments in record time........thank you helpers!
And they were supposed to visit Santa on this day, hence the coordinating sweaters......the line however was to Egypt and back. We'll try again another day soon.
2 comments:
I love your tree! And your new ornaments.
If you insist on getting a tree because it's a little homely, at least you could visit OUR Santa!! The line at our lot always goes super fast. Just sayin'. I mean really, what are you trying to tell us? ;)
And, our trees can't help being beautiful. They were born that way. Such discrimination! ;)
Enjoy Charlie and Merry Christmas.
Love you guys.
Post a Comment