Saturday, December 26, 2009

Almost a white Christmas

So, the excitement before the excitement (AKA Christmas day) presented itself in a powdery, wet, white covering, several days before Christmas. That's right, we missed a white Christmas (or for those of you familiar with Brad Paisley's Completely Non-offensive and politically correct holiday song, that would be 'a Caucasian holiday'!) by 3 days.

The kids couldn't wait to get all geared up in snow paraphernalia and head out to the backyard. Now, in year's past, the thought of getting everyone geared up made me shudder and want to hide in a closet-one other than the coat closet-because it was a task that took SO long to complete! But this year? Not so bad, not so bad! The older 3 took care of the snow pants and gloves and hats and scarves and boots and whatever else they needed and I just had to help L and L. Even that was pretty easy as they knew where to locate and retrieve (that's the most important part, the retrieving) their gear. So, once suited up it was outside to let the fun begin......in the whopping 1/2 inch that we got!
We have a very small retaining area on our property and this works out as their 'hill' for sledding. Know those words are used in very loose fashion. It's really not a hill, but they had a blast so who really cares!
Now, all mothers thinks they have beautiful children and of course they are....a creation and gift from heaven above, and it's our job to help our children to feel beautiful both inside and out. But I just have to say...this boy is SO beautiful! How did we get so lucky? I took this picture right after taking one of him making a silly face and I tell you, I can see exactly what he is going to look like when he grow up. I could look at this picture for a very long time I just love him so much!
Thankfully there was enough snow to make a snowman.....a very small snowman. Laurel and Gregory worked together to create it
And then Gregory worked all alone and smashed it. And then Laurel cried. All things considered it was a fun morning and they played for over an hour outside despite the 20 degree weather! We even wrapped a few gifts while they had all that fun!

3 comments:

Robin said...

You got more snow that we did. Love the little snowman!

The Wades said...

Yeah, you got more snow that us too. I'll have to agree--all your kids are gorgeous. Plus, they are super photogenic. What a great combination. They aren't going to look back and wonder why they looked so terrible for large chunks of their childhood.

The snowman was precious. How sweet, well, except the smashing part. ;)

Anne said...

Ah! The tiny snowman!!! I can't tell you how many lil guys we've made with our sad little Dallas snowfalls in my life!

And yes, that boy is so handsome. They all are SO cute- those beanies with flaps are awesome!!! :0)