Thursday, October 15, 2009

A visit to the ol' high school

So, how many times have you been back to your high school? HAVE you been back to your high school since you've graduated? Well, I have been a few times but last night I had Gregory and Jacob with me and I was so thrilled to show them around a bit!!

Back in the days, I was a middle of the road kind of girl. I was friends with those more popular than me and I was friends with those less popular than me. I really do have good memories of those days-probably because the days were filled with giddy excitement at walking to class with my love of the moment. And he's STILL my love of the moment. Bill and I met in band (yep, we were such band geeks!) and it all came flooding back last night as I sat in awe while listening to the United States Army Field band and Chorus who happened to be performing at my old high school...and also when I saw my high school band director!! Mr J is still the band director and I enjoyed talking with him about the current band and its size...holy cow-it is now one, if not THE, largest marching bands in the state!! When Bill and I were in we had about 120 members at the most and today the band numbers 180+!! Yowser! Funny story, he said he has had a check sitting on his desk that was written by Bill's mom back in 89' for payment of a fundraiser........now that's an old check!

The band was simply amazing. The boys, along with Catalena and Aaron, really enjoyed the performance and definitely peaked their interest in band...YAY!! The other side of the gym was completely packed-over 1500 people in attendance! During intermission we wandered a little bit. The concourse, the hallways filled with lockers....I even happened to remember a couple of my old locker numbers! This is the concourse where we all hung out and ate lunch. And the gym where we participated in assemblies, basketball games, challenges of not tripping on the stairs while carrying large instruments.....fun times!!So much of the school looks the same, sounds the same, smells the same and yet it really is so very different. For instance......did I ever imagine when our class gave this gift to the school that I'd be standing in front of it with my kids so many years later?! Technically I'm standing in front of it with only 2 of my kids......Catty and Aaron are 'pseudo' kids!Some memories are so crystal clear that I swear there is no way it was THAT long ago I was in high school. Hopefully that's a good thing so that when the boys get to that age I'll remember what it was like, the feel of the important moments, the embarrassing moments, the life changing moments. And really, I think I'll pretend I didn't graduate THAT many years ago :-)

1 comment:

Robin said...

I haven't been in my high school since I graduated. And I'm pretty sure the band has shrunk. We were close to 300 when I was there. That's a big band!