Friday, November 14, 2008

Flashback Friday: Sweet 16

When I turned 16, my parents gave me the greatest gift-the right to date! Yes, I wasn't allowed to date until that magical age and was I ever ready for it! Who was it that I wanted to date, be exclusive with, call my boyfriend? This guy that made my heart beat faster than ever. He was tall, super cute, had a sweet smile, was kind and courteous, his clothes smelled yummy and when he was playing his snare drum during marching band rehearsals with his jeans and tank top I wanted to jump on him! Yep, my one and only, the one who would hold my heart from that day forward forever...my husband!!

On the day of my 16th birthday, my parents told me that we were going shopping for a special dress and that we would be going out for a very special dinner. I picked out this perfect strapless black velvet dress with sequined bolero jacket. It was my first fancy, sophisticated, don't I look awesome kind of dress. And then, they told me that BILL was going to come to dinner too!! He was dressed in his suit and man did he look good! We went to a really nice restaurant where all the waiters sang very well and the theme that night was broadway tunes (if that part of my memory serves me correctly). It was a fantastic night, obviously one I play in my mind from time to time. Here we are in all our 16 year old and 17 (and a half) year old splendor!

Bill took me back to that restaurant for his senior prom-it was Phantom of the Opera night! Unfortunately the place has since closed its doors. And so, last night, 18 years later (now you all know how old I am thank you very much) we went out for another terrific dinner, to a place we had not been before....The Melting Pot....yummy!

The day was a good day. I was busy teaching preschool in the morning, one of the girls in my class brought me flowers too. Got L and L home and down for a nap, walked out to the kitchen to find a beautiful vase of pink roses from Bill! Now, flowers aren't frequent vistors to our house, so when they do arrive it's very special! I had 2 other special flower deliveries too...
I am a very lucky girl! After the kids had dinner I opened their gifts. Bill brought an oil painting home from China (he sneaks way too much stuff home...I need to find his hiding place!)
I look a bit goofy in this one, but it shows the art work nicely.
He did such a nice job picking it out as the colors go very well in our family room! Guess I'll be taking advantage of a Michael's 50% off framing coupon!
And then it was on to dinner!! The Melting Pot is a fondue restaurant. This was the first time we had been and the food was so good (and so not good for you once drenched in cheese!) We got a cheese fondue with breadcubes, apples and fresh veggies:

Then after a caesar salad, the main course. You cook all the meat yourself in the fondue pot, we chose a vegetable broth to cook in. The meats included chicken, shrimp, tuna, filet, and steak. It also came with fresh veggies-zucchini, broccoli, red potatoes and mushrooms. We nearly finished it but chose to save a little space for the best part...DESSERT!! Me with my fondue forks....they could seriously be used as weapons!
For dessert, we got to choose from 6 or 7 different chocolate fondues. We chose milk chocolate with Bailiey's Irish Creme liquor. The dippers..yummy...were fresh strawberries and bananas, cheesecake, brownie bites, rice krispy treat squares, and marshmallows rolled in graham cracker crumbs and crushed oreos. OH SO GOOD!! Shamefully good and we finished all but a couple bites of the cheesecake. An expereinc to remember and one we definitely recommend.
Tonight, Luke and Laurel get to be a part of Lobo basketball tradition-attending a game with Nana and Papa. And while they are occupied, I'll be able to concentrate on G and J as they get awarded their Webelo I rank in cub scouts and Eric earns his Bear badge in cub scouts. Way to go boys!!







5 comments:

Robin said...

So, are you saying it was your birthday yesterday? Happy Birthday!!!

Love The Melting Pot, haven't been in several years, must go again, yum...

Anonymous said...

YO YO Sister....HAPPY HAPPY bday to you happy happy BDAY to you!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPY Bday to my LITTLE sister, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppy birrrrrrrrrrrrthdaaaaaaaaaaaaayy tooooooooooooooooooooooooo uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu PEACE!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my friend! It looks like you had a great day! The Melting Pot sounds so yummy, so I'm definitely putting it on my list of places to go! Hugs, Janet

Anonymous said...

you two are WAY too cute! Guess it comes from good genes, not the Levi type. Did you remember the solo that guy sang to you??

The Wades said...

Ahhh, I loved this! So cute seeing that picture of you and Bill on your first date. My favorite line in this post you ask?

"And when he was playing his snare drums during marching band rehearsals with his jeans and tank top I wanted to jump on him!" Priceless!!! :)

Your dinner looks like it was super yummy! I think it beats my McDonald's lunch my hubby took me to. ;)

Happy late birthday, my friend. Sorry we left town and didn't get to say it sooner. Love ya