And why?
That's my mom and Luke...I don't think the kids ate breakfast until nearly 9am since they couldn't tear themselves away from each new balloon that floated over the house. For those of you unfamiliar with the balloon fiesta, Albuquerque is known for something called 'the box'. This is when balloon pilots take off and at one elevation the pilot may go north or south and when he goes up farther to another elevation he can go the opposite direction....hence the term 'the box'. Pilots have been known to take off, fly for quite a while and then be able to come back and land right where they took off from. The box doesn't happen everyday, it just depends if the conditions are right (and I'm sure I really botched the explanation, but hey, I gave it a good shot). On this particular day, the balloons all came to the north so we got to see quite a few of them. Today they took off and went to the south so we didn't see any of them. Another view from our backyard looking north.
And these would be our local Canadian Geese. They love the harvested corn field that is south of our house. They land there for months after the corn has been harvested, eating all that's left behind.
For more nifty pictures, even some cool special shapes (including humpty dumpty and darth vader) tune in tomorrow...or Wednesday in case I don't get there tomorrow!
2 comments:
Oh, how we miss the balloons!!! And how amazing that they flew right over your house! I am SO glad we made it to one mass ascension while we were there. There is nothing like walking among several hundred balloons taking off at the same time! But, I truly understand what you said about avoiding the crowds! Especially with looking up to see the balloons, and looking down to make sure you still have all your children with you!
Loved the picture with the geese in it! We see tons of geese here too ~ the migration is already starting, so watch out for more headed your way!
It's important to avoid the fiesta and restaurants this time of year! You got some really great pictures. Love the geese and the balloon together.
Post a Comment