Saturday, July 17, 2010

Things that go bump in the night

Things that go bump in the night...or things that talk in the night........a 5 year old child standing by my bed.  That always kind of freaks me out when I wake to a head right in my face next to my bed.  It doesn't happen very often and usually it means someone has thrown up somewhere.

No throwing up last night thank goodness, but Luke did make an appearance 3 times.  The first time was to tell me he heard some noise and couldn't sleep and that it was dark in his room.  Well, I sure hope it's dark in your room is what I wanted to tell him, but instead I whispered it was the middle of the night and time to be in bed.  I walked him back to his room and found that it wasn't really dark in his room because he decided to turn a light on!  Thankfully Eric slept through that.

About 20 minutes later he  made another appearance.  OK, now I'm not so patient.  Especially when he tells me 'I'm hungry'.  Truth be told, none of my kids have EVER woken me up in the middle of the night for that reason.  Leave it to Luke, my 24 hour a day eater, to be the one!  Now, last night he did go to bed early after suffering some serious meltdowns and also with a plate at least half full of food.  So, when he told me he was hungry, I knew he really was.  Did it make me any more patient about the request?  Ummm, NO!  I threw my legs over the bed and whisper yelled 'that's what happens when you don't eat your dinner'!  I walked him....rather quickly......to the kitchen, yanked open the fridge and handed him a gogurt.  I told him 'mommy doesn't like to be woken up in the middle of the night because you didn't finish your dinner'.  Boy, am I mean or what.  He finished the gogurt in 2 minutes and I took him back to bed.......to his room with the light turned on once again!

Time #3?  Well, I can't even remember his reason.  I'm not even sure I let him finish stating his reason.  I lifted my head from my pillow and told him to lay down next to my bed and go to sleep.  He pulled a pillow off the stack and did precisely that.  I woke up about an hour later and shuffled him back to his room....thankfully that was the last middle of the night visit!

Then the dog came over and decided the pillow looked like a good place to sleep.  I leaned over out of the bed, yanked the pillow up and whisper yelled at Parker to go lay on his own bed!

*****Redeeming moment from my last laundry post****  See?  The laundry room does have it's moments where one would never suspect that the washers and dryers are in constant use!  Eh, it'll last about a week...if I'm lucky. Then it will resume it's natural messy look.  Sad, but true!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, those appearances of a child by your bedside are always a bit scary and funny at the same time, aren't they?